Question

Primary Owner

• 16 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi, we are fairly new to Karbon, and now making sure all our contact data is correct.

Would just like confirmation that the primary owner of the email should be the individual record rather than the organization ?

Once contacts are up to date we will start to build client groups.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question :grinning: !

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Joanna McGill! Welcome to Karbon and the Karbon community. 😀

It’s not an obvious question, and we have a divergence of opinion within our office. Here are the two ways I think about it, but ultimately, it’s up to how you want Karbon to work for you in your office.

1. Make the individual the primary
    1. In my opinion, this is better for incoming phone calls.
    2. When someone calls and gives their name, you can easily find recent relevant communication without needing to remember which organization they are with and without having to navigate to details and check the associated organizations.
    3. The downside is that when emails come in from this individual, you might have to tap the briefcase and assign nearly all emails to the organization timeline… lots of extra steps.
  2. Make the organization primary
    1. This is better for staff who are working.
    2. Emails go straight to the organization timeline.
    3. Since work items are connected with organizations, staff may look on the organization timeline and not go further to check the individual timeline for important communication.
    4. There may be multiple individuals connected, so staff would have to play a matching game on the details page to figure out where more important communication might be hiding.

If you have good triage practices, either of these will work just fine. You’ll have to decide which tradeoffs you prefer when people do not have good triage etiquette.

Does that help at all?

Badge

Hi @max 

Thanks for replying ! 
Your answer has helped, we will discuss this as a team and agree one way forward, otherwise I can that we will all get confused !
I have been making all the individual’s primary owner, leaning towards that, as you say easier to find the individual then their companies especially when they have more than one company.
Triage practices definitely need to be worked on but we will get there !
Thanks
Joanna 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If you want it changed (like I do, lol), vote here if you feel led. 😉

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Joanna McGill I am in the opposite camp. I prefer option number 2. I want all communication available at the Organization level by default. Too much can get lost when it is attached to the individual and someone fails to check the individual timeline for communication and/or fails to add the communication to the Organization timeline.

This has been super helpful when dealing with tax returns for married individuals. We generally work with one spouse and I like having all of their communication available at the Organization level by default as that is where the work is setup.

I see your point if the individual works for multiple organizations that can get messy. For my work I see that as not common and it is easier to remove it from the timeline that it does not pertain to.