Question

COLLEAGUES NEED TO BE ABLE TO EDIT A NOTE I PINNED TO AN ORGANIZATION

• 24 May 2023
  • 6 replies

In the past we used an excel spreadsheet to add specific notes to each clients file.  Ex cc numbers, things that need to be referenced regularily, this could be updated my anyone in the company if any changes were made or needed to be noted.  Each client had their own tab for these notes.

I copied all these notes from out “TASK by CLIENT” sheet and pinned them so they are seen immediately if an organization is opened.

However we have noticed if I created the note, no one else can add to it.  Any help would be appreciated and steps on how to do it.

thanks in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Darleene Reeve have you looked at what can be added to a client’s Details tab? These are editable by others, and there are some specific fields that you might find useful. There’s also a Description in each work item which could be used. Annoyingly, these fields don’t allow formatting, but a URL can be pasted and it becomes a clickable link.

We have a Google Doc for each client which we link in various places in Karbon (Details tabs, work items etc.).

As an aside, I’m hoping that by cc numbers you don’t mean Credit Card numbers and that you have a more secure method of storing those than plain text in Karbon!

Badge

I do not recommend storing client cc details in Karbon notes. You need a secure encrypted solution to store the card info where no one can see it. What you’re doing may be convenient but it’s a liability risk for you.

Thanks everyone, just to clarify no we don’t put actual card numbers, we may reference things such as card ending in 2754 was compromised  and was cancelled.  We create these notes for our team to remember when publishing receipts. :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I do not recommend storing client cc details in Karbon notes. You need a secure encrypted solution to store the card info where no one can see it. What you’re doing may be convenient but it’s a liability risk for you.

We have been struggling with this, since Karbon suggest you can put them in the details as they say they are secure enough. We are not really interested in a LastPass or something like that. 

Is Microsoft 365 secure enough? We could link to a online excel sheet as @Rebecca Williams does with a google document. 

Badge

We have been struggling with this, since Karbon suggest you can put them in the details as they say they are secure enough. We are not really interested in a LastPass or something like that. 

Is Microsoft 365 secure enough? We could link to a online excel sheet as @Rebecca Williams does with a google document. 

You can save your client credit card details or bank account details within the Quickbooks sales receipt feature. This will hide the account information (keeping it secure) while allowing you to charge the card/account as needed via sales receipt. Other than that, I’d recommend a secure platform with an audit trail so you can see who accessed the information and when. Karbon may be secure enough for information that sensitive but it has no audit trail that I’m aware of.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@David Sadowsky As Darius mentioned, the audit trail is one issue with adding it to Karbon details. The other is the client page will likely be visible to many people who should have general client information but shouldn’t have the credit card details. Those should be locked down so as few people as needed can access and change. A spreadsheet is a better option than Karbon because at least you can lock down permissions and also see the history, but I’d still say it’s not recommended!

A secure password management system that has a credit card file type (e.g. 1Pass) would be an even more secure option, although ideally not even keeping credit card details where they can be viewed in plain text is even better!