Bookkeeper Mindset on Scheduling

• 21 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone,

The bookkeeping firm I work for recently began using Karbon. I’m wondering if there are good resources and advice on how a bookkeeper should be thinking about managing workflow with regard to scheduling. With bookkeeping workflow very task-list oriented, I’m wondering how people schedule their work.

Sorry if that’s vague!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Rob, I’ve done a lot of thinking about this, but I don’t want to go down any tangents that don’t pertain to your situation. What would you think about doing a quick call so we could chat about it? Also, your success manager probably has some great ideas as well. Do you know how to find their contact info?

I’d be happy to chat about it. I’m not the point person in our Karbon conversion so I haven’t yet worked with a success manager. We are still in the process of fully launching with Karbon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’ll send you a DM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Rob Clark,

Linking this thread relating to setting up repeating schedules, in case it’s of interest: 

Short answer to your question is that we setup work based on how often we expect/need to do something:

• if we are preparing payroll fortnightly, we have a fortnightly Work item for Payroll f/e 24 Feb, 2024
    This way we can easily see what payrolls we need to process and when they are due to be done
  • if we are picking up the bookkeeping weekly (business clients), we have a weekly Work item for Bookkeeping w/c 19 Feb, 2024
    This way we can easily see what files we are yet to process some bookkeeping on this week
  • if we are picking up the bookkeeping monthly/quarterly (clients working for themselves, e.g. contractors, not running a business so to speak), we have a monthly/quarterly Work item for Bookkeeping Feb 2024
    This way we can easily see what files we are yet to process some bookkeeping on this month/quarter

You want, high enough frequency of Work items that you can easily see/track what Work needs to be done (start date) and by when (due date) and a low enough frequency of Work items that you aren’t overwhelmed with what you see.

We originally tried having monthly Work items with tasks grouped in sections of bookkeeping week 1, 2, 3, 4, payroll 1, 2 etc, but it doesn’t help you know what needs to be done when looking at a Work view.

Does that help? 🙂