Question

Updating Tasks in Template - flow on to reoccuring jobs.

• 16 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi All!

When setting up templates & tasks with reoccurring jobs, if you update the tasks within the template does it update the reoccurring jobs? 

I thought I saw that if the tasks weren’t yet assigned within the job and you updated the template, the new tasks would flow through. 

Looking forward to hearing from the community. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Ellen Leadbetter,

Here’s what I know:

You can, on any work item (initially*) created from a template, reset that work item to the template.
*so if you create 2022 work item from a template and it repeats yearly and auto-creates the 2023 work item, because the repeating work item was originally set up from a template, you can reset the 2023 work item to the template.

You can, on any repeating work item, reset that work item to the last work item (e.g. if you made changes to 2023 work item, you could reset 2023 work item to match the 2022 work item.

Here is an article about both of those: https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/6057036-managing-work-items-and-teams#h_d2f13fafa4

If you update the 2022 work item and the tasks & budget on the 2023 work item have not been created yet, when its created it will inherit the changes to the 2022 work item. If the 2023 tasks and budget have already been created, you’ll need to reset the 2023 work item to the last work item (2022) as per above.

Here is an articule about changes inherited by work in a repeating schedule: https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/6096234-setup-repeating-work-on-a-schedule#h_db47d2207c

In short:

When you create a work item from a template, it inherits that template’s tasks & budget.

If you setup repeating work, it creates future work items which copy from the work item before it.

If you update any work item in the schedule, the next work item in the schedule will inherit its changes (unless the next work item has already had its tasks and budget created - in which case you have the option to reset that next work item to match the work item you updated).

If you update a work template you can reset any work item back to the template.

Here’s what I don’t know:

If you create work from a template and don’t change the work item but do change the template, whether it will update future work items based on the template (rather than the last work item) - I don’t think it will.

Does that help? 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank Sam for the response. It’d be great if we had the option to combine both.

e.g. Update from template for core tasks (e.g. to capture a change in process) but then have a client specific tasks section that just rolls forward between jobs. Not sure if this has been suggested before as a feature request

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Ellen Leadbetter! Agree with everything Sam said! Unfortunately we have to manually reset the work very frequently and I wish there was an easy way for the work to update based on changes at the template level. The manual process to update is time consuming, and even when it is executed on Karbon’s end (in bulk) it is still a more time consuming process than we would desire. Here’s a feature request I posted a while back which may be helpful to you: https://community.karbonhq.com/ideas/allow%2Dus%2Dto%2Dbulk%2Dupdate%2Dwork%2Ditems%2Dcreated%2Dfrom%2Da%2Dtemplate%2D514

Ideally we would prefer not even having to bulk update; and just have certain templates push through to the work when updated (or at least the future work). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank Sam for the response. It’d be great if we had the option to combine both.

e.g. Update from template for core tasks (e.g. to capture a change in process) but then have a client specific tasks section that just rolls forward between jobs. Not sure if this has been suggested before as a feature request

Totally agree, please vote for this feature idea and like my comment about the same 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Love this @SamG — voted and liked 😁