Question

Tracking External Partners

Userlevel 1

Hello!

One of the biggest project management tasks I have is now solved with Karbon, and that is tracking client work.  The second biggest is tracking work I have outsourced to other firms.  I have this all over the place and it is getting messy.  

How do you guys track this?  Do you just add work to the contact like you would a client?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hello @Summer Thorn,

Good question 🙂 it depends

We have a work type (SMSF compliance) which is mostly outsourced, but we’re still responsible for starting, progressing and finalising it, so the work is recorded against our client, like any other work we do for them.

That work type has a specific status “Waiting for Seamless” (our provider).

The rest of the workflow is exactly the same, but when it’s in their court, it’s in that status.

You could do that or you could use a specific work type or you could add work against the contact (your provider).

Does that help? 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We don’t do this, but it’s an interesting problem. If we were to start doing this today, we would treat our external partners as “staff” and the work would flow the same way. You are welcome to add as many “Dummy Staff” as you like to your Karbon instance. Just make sure you use a fake email address like {external_firm_name}@example.com. This way, the invite won’t go anywhere. You aren’t charged for the user and you can track work like any of your other staff.

I like @SamG’s idea to create a specific status for the work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Summer Thorn 

We have also created a dummy account for our outsourced service providers.  We also have given an in-house team member oversight responsibility, so these items don’t fall through any cracks.  This is our first season of outsourcing so I am interested in how others are working this through Karbon.