Question

Tracking client expenses

• 30 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to work out the best way to track ongoing client expenses - For example Yearly Xero subscriptions 

Has anyone come up with a way to do this Karbon?  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Karen Jepsen, that’s a great question. From what I understand, the expenses are something you can add, but it’s a bit manual. There’s no way to add expense items to templates and they do not carry forward in recurring work. Here’s where you add expenses:

We use QBO and there’s a feature in QBO that allows us to set up recurring billable charges. When we export Karbon billing information, we add the remaining billable charges to the invoice in QBO and send to the client.

I’m curious how other people handle this situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We have the same setup in QBO with recurring sales receipts.  We get paid monthly by clients for QBO access (a passed-on expense) and those that choose to pay for services monthly rather than 1 large yearly payment.  We are trying to migrate all our clients to the monthly model. It would be nice to have things broken out as expenses vs a budget item in the work without having to add the expense each time.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Max.

Yes it’s a manual task and that’s what I’m trying to avoid.

Would be a great if you could add expenses to templates. 

It would also be great if expenses followed through to the work reports.

We invoice monthly and I use the WIP, Budget in work items to invoice any clients that aren’t engaged.

Because expense don’t show on the report I have to into each work item and check them manually.