Question

Text messaging in Karbon

• 12 September 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Does anyone have a solution to add text messaging into Karbon?  We would like to see client texts sent to our phones come into the triage just like email and be able to respond via Karbon.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

So...we send “texts” to our clients out of Karbon.  We do that via email.  It is a work around that doesn’t cost anything extra.  You just need to know who your client's carrier is to look up the SMS gateway.  So for example, say my client has a phone number with Verizon.  I would send an email to 1234567890@vtext.com.  If it is AT&T it would go to 1234567890@txt.att.net.

Userlevel 3

I’ve been looking at VXT as a phone solution. Supposedly it integrates with Karbon to do what you’re describing. Right now we’re using Google Voice which is really not a great solution. I may switch to RingCentral or VXT depending on how well the two operate with Karbon

Userlevel 1

Has there been any traction on this I am often sending texts to or from clients as well as calls currently I am just forwarding the texts in as a screenshot via email which is pretty janky would be great if there was some more functionality here..

Also some sort of telephone template would be great! 

We use Yak Chat for text message as it allows us third party verification and a shared inbox.  I had the feature turned on to send email of message.  We now can link to client, BUT… it is not the full conversation just each message as an email.  

We used to use Senta and you were able to send texts from there which was really useful to ask clients for something urgent or even as them to check their emails. Would Karbon be able to add a feature like this?

@max Did you ever explore the teams approach with text messaging.  We use YakChat in Teams for texting.  I tried to Zapier but the connector is not as straight forward as I was hoping.  

My current wish list for Karbon:

1. Note Text messages automatically from Yakchat within the teams channel
  2. I just upgraded Teams premium so we could text message our appointment confirmations and reminders automatically.  But it is using teams platform not YakChat.  I would like our text line to be used across the board.
  3. I would also like our tax organizers to be built into our workflows, with yes/no and key updates. Lacerte Tax organizer is non-fill in, just non ocr pdf.  I tried to convert it using docdown in SmartVault but it is too labor intensive, same with Adobe.  I don’t want to mail this information anymore.  Anyone using lacerte??? that has moved to karbon and created their own organizer an engagement as a work engagement?  Thoughts?  Are others walking away from mailing them?  
  4. Tax engagement - I will integrate with our Tax Organizer approach.  Unless someone has better plan.

I feel like the text side of SMS should already be in Karbon.  I would like the client appointment also under the client record for lookback.  Right now we are manually documenting our client interactions too much.

Anyway, I appreciate your time.

Kristine

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

We use RingCentral for our phone system, which allows for text messages on the direct lines and also our main line.  In our RingCentral settings, we can toggle a switch to send emails to us any time a text or voicemail comes in.  This works great, because now we have texts and voice message transcriptions in Triage, which can be tagged to the work or client.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

In Australia, we use Messagemedia which can send SMS via email.  We setup a special email address with the client’s mobile phone number (<mobilenumber>@e2s.messagemedia.com)  in the Contacts and then just send an email to this special email address.  They can then message back and it appears in Karbon just like a normal email conversation.

Works really well for us.

https://messagemedia.com/au/

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Max!  Thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m working on a few other projects right now. 😕

However, I will circle back to this when I tackle SMS + Karbon.

How does that sound?

Userlevel 4
Badge

@max Hi Max,

I would love to learn more about text message integration with Karbon.  We currently use Crexendo as our phone system and have yet to set up any business text messaging. We need to do this soon as more and more of our clients prefer to text rather than email. In addition, since our communication with clients lives in Karbon, it would be excellent to attach their texts to a work item and timeline.  Thanks for your input.

Badge

I’m considering building a DIY integration with Microsoft Teams and Karbon to add a note template for incoming and outgoing phone calls.

I think an integration with teams in this way sounds amazing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Jana, who do you use as a phone provider?

I’m considering building a DIY integration with Microsoft Teams and Karbon to add a note template for incoming and outgoing phone calls.

I did some reading on the DialPad API that might work nicely with Karbon’s API to add text messages as notes in Karbon.

Twilio also has a great API that could easily add text messages to Karbon.