Question

OneDrive Integration

• 6 June 2024
  • 7 replies

We are looking into the OneDrive integration. For those already using it, do you have any tips and tricks for setting it up? We have over 1500 active work projects and connecting each one to a folder seems like it is going to be quite time consuming. Thanks in Advance

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We have it set up and do not use it. It works okay, but there are some things we don’t like enough that we just manually handle the files.

• We like sub-folders for some work items -- integration doesn’t create them
  • We like folders named a certain way -- integration can only name folders the name of the work item
  • It takes a long time to find the folder we want (click, scroll, load, scroll, load, scroll, click, scroll, load, scroll, load, scroll, etc.) -- integration doesn’t have search, favorites, or default starting folder options.
Userlevel 1

I believe there is significant potential for improving the document management system. The amount of manual handling required can be quite challenging. Like many of you, I divide client requests into multiple tasks based on the types of documents needed (e.g., bank receipts, issued invoices, received invoices, etc.). However, currently, we have to download each document individually, which is time-consuming.

Additionally, in connecting a OneDrive folder, despite organizing these files into separate tasks within Karbon, they all end up together in the OneDrive folder, requiring manual sorting later. This process is also time-consuming. I’m not asking for subfolder integration or creation, for which there might be technical difficulties with the implementation, but it would be helpful to have the option to add a specific prefix or suffix for each document within a task. This way, I could sort them more efficiently without having to preview or print each one..

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Have you tried using the recurring work function to create the folder for the work item so that your files automatically get added to their own folder?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am loving this feature option. We use SuiteFiles as a document storage option and it has a OneDrive connection/integration, making this an very convenient automation.

The main hang up we can find is that there is not a lot of name placeholders available. We often work in the “- # days” for our naming conventions, Example: T1 return [start date - XX days (YYYY) ] resulting in T1 Return 2024 as the naming convention, with a start date of Feb 1, 2025. Will this style of placeholder be available in the current road map, and if so, should I hold off to set this up in anticipation for this type of placeholder rather than creating a whole new folder naming convention for my team. 

It would also be very nice to have a search function in the OneDrive connection. once I am in the Clients sections there are 1000s of clients to sort through to find the one client I am looking for. 

Is there a bulk update option available for this setting to make the changes to the repeats on our work items?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Those are all excellent ideas. If the feature ideas exist, you can vote for them, or if you put in a feature idea, comment the link here so we can go vote for it. 😀

Userlevel 1

Have you tried using the recurring work function to create the folder for the work item so that your files automatically get added to their own folder?

Hi, thanks for replying. The issue is not the folder creation per se, but the fact that on the one side we can ask the client to orderly sort the files according to the single task in the client request, but on the other side, once we have the files, we lose the order by putting all files in the same box.

EG: Client request “Documents may 2024);
taks 1: please attach proof of payments and bank statements
task 2: please attach the invoices issued
task 3: please attach the invoices you’ve received
task 4: ...

in each task the client will upload the files via comment.

Issue n.1: if the documents are many, for each comment we are forced to download each file one by one
Solution: OneDrive integration saves all the files in the given folder
Issue n.2 all files are saved in the given folder, without distinction of the source (i.e. bank statements, invoices, …, all together!)

So we have to waste time either downloading each single file from the comments, or sorting the downloaded files in the connected folder.

If i understand that there might be technical burdens that prevent the creation of various folder, wouldn’t it be possible to add the option to add a placeholder directly on the file, related to the parent client request and to the children-tasks in the request? In this way, sorting can be automatized through power automate/zapier/whatever we use, and in any case manual sorting will be easier, because we don’t need to open each single file to know where it comes from..we just have to look at the filename!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If i understand that there might be technical burdens that prevent the creation of various folder, wouldn’t it be possible to add the option to add a placeholder directly on the file, related to the parent client request and to the children-tasks in the request?

That’s another great feature idea!