Solved

Non recurrent task

• 26 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I would like to ask how people manage non-recurrent work. Do you create a work for every “special” task ? For exemple: you need to prepare a work permit request, will you create a work ? What is your best practice ?

icon

Best answer by SamG 27 September 2023, 00:59

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We typically create a work item just because that is how we can track emails related to that work and manage the work in my week.  There are a few internal work items we just add to notes or emails added to my week.

We do have some weekly client updates and if a client sends something we’ll address in that work item, we add the email to that timeline.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@max I know you have a good criteria for when you decide whether making a work item is worth it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would like to ask how people manage non-recurrent work. Do you create a work for every “special” task ? For exemple: you need to prepare a work permit request, will you create a work ? What is your best practice ?

@Noémie Nono great question!

Answer is no 🙂 I’m not sure what a work permit is, but here is our sort of decision making:

Client Support: We include in our annual fixed fees an allocation of client support and have a work item called 20XX Client Support, usually assigned to the Client Group and shared by the group. If a client has small, straightforward questions/requests, we’ll put our time to this work item and add related emails to this timeline.

Out of Scope: We create a work item called 20XX Out of Scope for a specific client, as required. If a client has slightly bigger, not so straightforward question/request, we’ll put our time to this work item and add related emails to this timeline. This is reviewed at end of month to raise any fees for out of scope attendances.

Advice (Specific Other): We create a work item called 20XX [Specific Attendance] (e.g. 2024 Business Sale) for a specific client, if a request is made that will definitely involve extra time (from us) and work and management (of the attendance). We have a Work Type called Advice, which most of these work items fall into (helps to identify on both work views and for billing at end of month). Some ideas of factors we consider as to whether we create a new work item:

• how much time will the work take?
  • how many emails etc will the work involve?
  • do we need to write up specific tasks for ourselves to track what we need to do?
  • do we need to track the status of the work to ensure it’s progressing?
  • will Client Requests (checklists) need to be sent?
  • is there a template for this work (e.g. we have a Structure Establishment template which has lots of useful Tasks for us and Client Requests for clients, which we always use for every company, trust of superfund we establish)

No one factor is the definitive one, but all are considered and a judgement made.

Does that help? 🙂

Userlevel 1

@SamG @Ken Rogers thank you a lot for sharing your best practice, that is very helpful ! 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We create a work item for everything!!  Only times we don’t create a work item is if it would be completed within 24 hours and takes under 30 mins.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is a great question @Noémie Nono, if there are emails to be linked and custom tasks to be completed by different members of the team, we will create a work order.  I love @SamG ‘s approach, we are not that detailed, we create a one-off or use a template we have called ‘Ad Hoc’.

We may instead create and assign a Note for non-recurrent work.  We can still assign the work, give it a due date, track the status, add it to My Week and link to a client timeline, there is no ability to add a budget this way, though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@max I know you have a good criteria for when you decide whether making a work item is worth it!

Thanks @Rebecca Williams! 😁

We have a basic rule:

If the work meets these requirements, it stays as a note in Karbon and time is tracked at the client level.

Will the work be done:

• In one sitting?
  • Without delivering something to the client?
  • Without need for review?
  • Without the need for follow up?

if ‘no’ to ANY of these items, we create a work item with the appropriate template. Otherwise, we just get it done, update a note on the proper timelines, track time at the client level, and keep things moving. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I had a thought that another consideration for creating a work item might be it’s billable status! Our billing is fixed fee, but we would always create one-off work items if it’s billable so they can track their time against the specific work item.

Userlevel 1

Thank you all for sharing your opinion, this is very useful !🙏🏻 

We are going to make our own “rules” to know when we need a proper work to be created or no. We will also add yearly ad-hoc work for each client so we can attach emails, notes, etc. for “small” requests. We will also take in consideration billable status in the decision.