Question

Credit Card Fee

• 28 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Is there a way to charge a flat credit card fee to the client so we don't absorb the cost? With the current software I use, We charge a flat 3% to the client. I would love to use Karbon for billing although this would be vital as it would end up costing us thousands a year to absorb that cost 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Kara Gaconi, welcome to the Karbon community! 😁

At the moment there isn’t a way to pass along the processing fee to the client. I believe Karbon is working on a feature that will add the processing fee to the invoice, however we’ve worked out a few ways to make it work for us:

1. We add messaging to the invoice and email that state that we will charge a fee if they pay with a credit card. This has worked to ward off many credit card transactions as people opt for connecting their bank account.
  2. When a client pays with a credit card, we add the expense to their next bill. This is a pain but happens rarely in our case. This also only works if you are billing your clients regularly. I know that’s not the case in many firms.
  3. There’s a feature to request a payment method up front for automatic payments. We’ve been inviting our clients to put their payment information on file, then we can see if it’s a credit card or a bank account and add the processing fee manually as needed.

Karbon billing is very easy to use, so the added work of tracking down and adding payment fees to clients who use credit cards is far outweighed by the easy and speed of billing straight out of Karbon, in our case. I realize that might not be the case for all firms.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We would love that feature as well!  @max  is right, helping the client see the benefit of ACH billing instead of credit card is best for everyone.  If they still insist on the card(sometimes the points/miles are too important!), then adding it to the following bill works best. 

We are on a fixed fee monthly billing with all of our clients and adding a line item for merchant service fees is becoming more and more of an industry standard.  I’d say 90% of our billing is ACH though, saves thousands in fees!