Question

Clients need historical documents and to upload things unplanned

Userlevel 3
Badge

Two questions:

1. How is everyone handling it when clients want to send you something they received that should be received via checklist (sensitive information is in the documents)?
    1. Some seem to get annoyed to have to ask for us to send a checklist to upload the document to.  
  2. We have been on Karbon for a year now and clients don’t like not have all of their documents organized and easy to find.  They also don’t like that the historical documents aren’t in Karbon (i.e. prior year returns). They don’t want to scroll through checklists to find the documents they need.  How are you handling this?

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Heather Lancaster !

This seems to be a hot discussion topic right now, we’re asking similar questions.  The current DMS integration with OneDrive and Dropbox offers a path toward better document sharing, but allowing clients to upload unplanned isn’t really on their roadmap.  Perhaps @SamG  or @max  have a stronger answer?   

Curious though, if you’re using Google Workspace for your DMS now, check out this thread to upvote a GDrive integration.  Karbon planned on adding it 2 yrs ago but dropped it due to what they thought was lack of user interest.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@drich208 

This seems to be a hot discussion topic right now, we’re asking similar questions.  The current DMS integration with OneDrive and Dropbox offers a path toward better document sharing, but allowing clients to upload unplanned isn’t really on their roadmap.  

That is a bummer.  I’m sure a lot of people could benefit from allowing unplanned uploads.

Curious though, if you’re using Google Workspace for your DMS now, check out this thread to upvote a GDrive integration.  Karbon planned on adding it 2 yrs ago but dropped it due to what they thought was lack of user interest.

Yes, we use Drive as out DMS.  We were super sad when they decided not to do it. I asked the team to upvote the thread!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We use something like this but in OneDrive to accomplish ad hoc file uploads: https://chat.openai.com/share/05e4cfab-687f-4387-a5d0-77728404f044

I haven’t tested it for Google Drive, but it seems easier than OneDrive, lol.

We took our dead drop link and used a link shortening service (rebrandly.com) to create a simple link similar to https://click.ourwebsite.com/file_upload which we share with our clients that need to upload ad hoc (or files larger than Karbon allows).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We have started playing with a work item just called ‘Document Upload’ which is client request that stays open. Some people that correspond a lot we put a “task” in the request for each month so they can at least refer back to it for themselves on a basis of when they sent it. Not totally perfect but it works fine for now. We’ll close the work item at the end of the year and send them a new one. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We have started playing with a work item just called ‘Document Upload’ which is client request that stays open. Some people that correspond a lot we put a “task” in the request for each month so they can at least refer back to it for themselves on a basis of when they sent it. Not totally perfect but it works fine for now. We’ll close the work item at the end of the year and send them a new one. 

That’s clever, thanks for the concept.  We’ll give this a try too!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We use something like this but in OneDrive to accomplish ad hoc file uploads: https://chat.openai.com/share/05e4cfab-687f-4387-a5d0-77728404f044

I haven’t tested it for Google Drive, but it seems easier than OneDrive, lol.

We took our dead drop link and used a link shortening service (rebrandly.com) to create a simple link similar to https://click.ourwebsite.com/file_upload which we share with our clients that need to upload ad hoc (or files larger than Karbon allows).

This is great, thank you.  I also love the intense warnings that chatGPT gives you on clandestine operations 😆, classic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not me Googling what is a dead drop 😅👀

We use our DMS (SharePoint/OneDrive) for a personal link for client when needed, rather than Karbon

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

This is great, thank you.  I also love the intense warnings that chatGPT gives you on clandestine operations 😆, classic.

I left it in there because I thought it was great, lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge

We threw this idea around as well, so I’m glad to hear someone is already doing that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We threw this idea around as well, so I’m glad to hear someone is already doing that.

A potential downside to this is that it keeps open work items open for each client and will negatively affect the analytics around workflow efficiency(and the team member who’s potentially assigned to it).  If a firm has performance metrics or compensation tied to work completion, this may not be popular 😉

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

We have a Karbon Template called Document Request. If a client needs to send us something we can have the request out the door in a couple minutes. If it is an ongoing project (late documents) we just re-open the client request and throw a comment in the task so they get emailed and can then upload the document.

We let clients know that our security software does not allow any attachments or embedded images to reach us, for our security and for theirs. I’ve been a hard a$$ about it this year and made no exceptions. Everyone complies in the end. For us it just came down to teaching them the appropriate procedures.

Userlevel 3
Badge

A potential downside to this is that it keeps open work items open for each client and will negatively affect the analytics around workflow efficiency(and the team member who’s potentially assigned to it).  If a firm has performance metrics or compensation tied to work completion, this may not be popular 😉

Ugh.  Fair point and something I questioned.  I figured it would not play nice with metrics.  Good to know.  Thank you.