Recurring work deadlines, upfront payment details + KPI workbook update

Related products: Work Contacts Billing & Payments Client Communication Practice Intelligence

Add deadlines to repeat work

In case you missed it, the deadline beta feature was released in January and has been steadily improving with new functionality since then. With this week’s release, you can now add a deadline to any repeating work schedules.

Setting up deadlines on repeat work is similar to setting up due dates. Go to a work item, select Set Up Repeating Work > Key Dates > Deadline, and input the desired deadline schedule.

Please note that you can’t pick a specific date when setting up deadlines on repeating work. The drop-down options are driven by the work item’s start date.

If you have repeating work with specific statutory deadlines like annual tax filings, you can set it up using the instructions below.

The work deadlines feature will be released to all customers soon. The beta program is closed for new signups while the team prepares it for release. Another release note will be published when it is available to all.

Request client payment details up front

This highly requested feature has been added to Karbon Billing to further save you time on payment collection.

If you have billing access, you can request client payment details up front to ensure on-time, automatic payments on all future invoices.

To request payment details up front, go to Receivables > Client > Auto-Pay > Request Payment Method, or Contact > Billing > Auto-Pay > Request Payment Method. Your client will then receive an email with a secure link to input their payment details. Once their payment details are saved, all approved invoices will be automatically paid on their due date.

New billing tab on contacts

To enable a more cohesive billing experience and give you more convenience over where and how they interact with clients’ billing data, a new billing tab is added to People and Organization contacts.

Colleagues with billing access can go to the billing tab of a client’s profile and see the same information available in the receivables dashboard: a 12-month billing overview, auto-pay details, invoices, and billing activity.

You can also Request Payment Method in the billing tab to collect client payment details upfront for auto-payments of future invoices.

A redesigned KPI Time Workbook

Based on your feedback, the KPI TIme Workbook is completely revamped to give you more control, visibility, and insights into your team’s billable hours, utilization, and time entries.

The new Time Workbook is available in KPI today and you can get a quick overview of what’s new in this video.

Previous releases

If you missed an update, you can still see a list of what we released in Karbon. For API releases, see the Karbon Developer Center.

This highly requested feature has been added to Karbon Billing to further save you time on payment collection.

If you have billing access, you can request client payment details up front to ensure on-time, automatic payments on all future invoices.

To request payment details up front, go to Receivables > Client > Auto-Pay > Request Payment Method, or Contact > Billing > Auto-Pay > Request Payment Method. Your client will then receive an email with a secure link to input their payment details. Once their payment details are saved, all approved invoices will be automatically paid on their due date.

This will tie us over until automatic fee billing or payment method controls are available. 😁 Thanks!!

To enable a more cohesive billing experience and give you more convenience over where and how they interact with clients’ billing data, a new billing tab is added to People and Organization contacts.

Colleagues with Billing Access can go to the Billing tab of a client’s profile and see the same information available in the Receivables dashboard: a 12-month billing overview, auto-pay details, invoices, and billing activity.

You can also Request Payment Method in the Billing tab to collect client payment details upfront for auto-payments of future invoices.

What a great update. Love the client-centered billing option.

Woo hoo! Thanks Karbon 😁 glad to see the Deadlines update, Billing tab on clients and revamped Time workbook 🙌🏾

It would be great to be able to easily change the start date for a repeating item within the repeating task. Maybe I am not aware how to change the start date easily but often a pain point. Having FIXED dates would be amazing too for deadlines.

It would be great to be able to easily change the start date for a repeating item within the repeating task. Maybe I am not aware how to change the start date easily but often a pain point. Having FIXED dates would be amazing too for deadlines.

@Mike, how often would you change the start date in Repeating Work settings? Is it usually a one off change, that’s annoying or are you regularly changing the start date in Repeating Work settings? 🙂

@Mike, how often would you change the start date in Repeating Work settings? Is it usually a one off change, that’s annoying or are you regularly changing the start date in Repeating Work settings? 🙂

It is usually trying to set it up at the beginning. If I could get it custom at creation would be much easier. Problem is that it is generally based on the work item I am trying to set up for repeat which does not have the proper dates I want and then of course would be an issue with setting up a deadline. 

Gotcha 🙂

We’ve experienced the same.. you could make a feature request, but otherwise the process to avoid the issue is:

1. Create new Work item with normal Start Date
  2. Set up Repeating Work, due/deadlines are days after normal Start Date
  3. Change Start Date of original Work item to today or whenever it will be
  4. If future Work items have a Start Date change, change them individually from the easy settings (not the repeat settings)

Add deadlines to repeat work

In case you missed it, the deadline beta feature was released in January and has been steadily improving with new functionality since then. With this week’s release, you can now add a deadline to any repeating work schedules.

Setting up deadlines on repeat work is similar to setting up due dates. Go to a work item, select Set Up Repeating Work > Key Dates > Deadline, and input the desired deadline schedule.

Please note that you can’t pick a specific date when setting up deadlines on repeating work. The drop-down options are driven by the work item’s start date.

If you have repeating work with specific statutory deadlines like annual tax filings, you can set it up using the instructions below.

The work deadlines feature will be released to all customers soon. The beta program is closed for new signups while the team prepares it for release. Another release note will be published when it is available to all.

Happy Dance!! Woop! Thank’s Karbon!

Hurray!!!! Such a pain point! Thank you! When will we be able to choose to elect the client pay CC fees.

Colleagues with billing access can go to the billing tab of a client’s profile and see the same information available in the receivables dashboard: a 12-month billing overview, auto-pay details, invoices, and billing activity.

You can also Request Payment Method in the billing tab to collect client payment details upfront for auto-payments of future invoices.

Sweet! This is awesome! Any chance this could ever be available to export from here vs navigating through Billing to do so?

I don’t see the feature for deadlines in my Karbon account.. Is it not available to everyone?

Hi @grgpenn,

Yes, it’s only in beta at the moment 🙂 the article says:

Hi @Rachel Peng,

Do you know if parts of the UI were shrunk a little in today’s update? The Create New box and options in particular felt smaller this morning 🙂

Collecting and storing payment information is a great addition to Karbon. I just sent a request to a client. 

The email request is fine, except that, for an organization, the greeting in the email is:

“Hi Acme Anvil Company” 

I would rather it was addressed to the billing contact at the company, in this case Wiley Coyote: “Hi Wiley.”

The body of the email should then refer to the organization for which the payment method is requested.

Collecting and storing payment information is a great addition to Karbon. I just sent a request to a client. 

The email request is fine, except that, for an organization, the greeting in the email is:

“Hi Acme Anvil Company” 

I would also like a little more control over the email request, or I’d like it to be formatted a little differently. Because I use the AI draft feature, I had to remove my name from my signature, which makes the request email look bad.

I would rather it was addressed to the billing contact at the company, in this case Wiley Coyote: “Hi Wiley.”

The body of the email should then refer to the organization for which the payment method is requested.

There is sadly no point to billing updates/changes until you guys make it possible to on-charge the fee.  By switching to Karbon I would immediately take a 3% cut on fees.   Think through your products so they are useful and it is worth switching.

Hi @Rachel Peng,

Do you know if parts of the UI were shrunk a little in today’s update? The Create New box and options in particular felt smaller this morning 🙂

Hi @SamG, I don’t believe that was part of the release, at least definitely not planned. I’ll check with the team but let me know if you continue seeing the UI issue.

There is sadly no point to billing updates/changes until you guys make it possible to on-charge the fee.  By switching to Karbon I would immediately take a 3% cut on fees.   Think through your products so they are useful and it is worth switching.

We’ve gotten around this by putting a message on the invoices billing instructions that we’ll charge a 2.9% fee for invoices paid with a credit card. We manually add the fee as an expense for the few clients that opt to pay with a credit card.

We are also calling clients to get their payment information on file with that great new feature, so we’re able to talk through with them that they are welcome to pay with a credit card, but it’s a higher fee. We then just build it into their future invoices.

None of this is ideal, but it’s better than what we were doing before, and the payment method restrictions are coming, I’ve been told. 😁

We’ve gotten around this by putting a message on the invoices billing instructions that we’ll charge a 2.9% fee for invoices paid with a credit card. We manually add the fee as an expense for the few clients that opt to pay with a credit card.

We are also calling clients to get their payment information on file with that great new feature, so we’re able to talk through with them that they are welcome to pay with a credit card, but it’s a higher fee. We then just build it into their future invoices.

None of this is ideal, but it’s better than what we were doing before, and the payment method restrictions are coming, I’ve been told. 😁

Well Xero does it for me so changing would be more work.   

How does the deadline come into play when viewing the work? Is it only in the work details and then used to filter the work tabs, so you can see what may be overdue, but not at the deadline yet? I’m trying to understand how to use this information in our workflow.

Sweet! This is awesome! Any chance this could ever be available to export from here vs navigating through Billing to do so?

Hi @Terri W, all the available invoice actions (depending on invoice status) should be available from this page so you don’t need to go to the “Invoices” page. Please let us know if that’s not the case.

​​​​​

How does the deadline come into play when viewing the work? Is it only in the work details and then used to filter the work tabs, so you can see what may be overdue, but not at the deadline yet? I’m trying to understand how to use this information in our workflow.

Hi @Megan Sells 

Deadlines work pretty much as Due Dates do and are shown on Work and in the Work Kanban View and Work List View.
To help you plan your work based on how close/far away the Deadline is, you can add filters and sort by Deadline, just as you can with Due Date - and save those filters as a view.
We’ll be creating a demo video when we release the feature, so you can see exactly how and where in Karbon you can use Deadlines.
See below for an example of Filtering on the Kanban board with the Kanban Columns set to Deadline:

The Kanban work view in Karbon with columns set to Deadline and a filter applied for Work with a Deadline in the current week.

Has the Deadline Date been released? I cannot see it yet.

Hi @SamG, I don’t believe that was part of the release, at least definitely not planned. I’ll check with the team but let me know if you continue seeing the UI issue.

Thanks Rachel, it still seems smaller than I remember 😅 which is either a nod to my attention to detail (if it is) or my overactive imagination (if it isn’t)

Hi @Mary-Clare Switz,

In the update it mentions:

I hope that helps 🙂

The deadlines feature and repeat settings look good.

Will we have the option to set/change the deadline date using automators in our templates?

@Shaun Farrugia why would you change the deadline? 🙂

The purpose of the Deadline date is to reflect a statutory due date (which is usually the same each year/period and wouldn’t change based on when you complete a task in the Work item). The Due Date is still the flexible date field to update when you want to move forward or back when you are trying to finish the Work item by.

Does that make sense? 🙂

@Shaun Farrugia why would you change the deadline? 🙂

The purpose of the Deadline date is to reflect a statutory due date (which is usually the same each year/period and wouldn’t change based on when you complete a task in the Work item). The Due Date is still the flexible date field to update when you want to move forward or back when you are trying to finish the Work item by.

Does that make sense? 🙂

Good point - probably the silliest thing I’ve said today ...so far!