Deadline beta enhancements and improved invoice management

Related products: Work Billing & Payments

This release introduces more ways to manage and bulk-edit work based on external deadlines. Improvements have also been made to how you filter and preview invoices

Deadline beta enhancements

The ability to add external deadlines to a work item, such as a tax filing date, was recently released to beta. Several further enhancements have been made to make this functionality more useful.

Edit work deadlines in the Kanban and List view

The deadline field is now directly editable in the Work Kanban or List view to help you manage work more efficiently.

To edit deadlines in the Kanban view, click on the three-dot setting icon and select Set deadline to open up the calendar. Once the desired deadline is set, it will instantly reflect on the work item Kanban card.

Editing deadlines in the List view is even easier. Simply click on the deadline field and enter the desired date.

Show deadlines on the work item overlay view

If a work item has a designated deadline date, youā€™ll see it displayed when you click open the work itemā€™s overlay view.

Deadline field available in Karbon Practice Intelligence (KPI)

A deadline field will be added to the WORK_ITEM_DETAILS and DIMN_WORK_ITEM table in KPI. Customers who are in the deadline beta program will be able to use this field for custom reporting.

The deadline feature is still open to beta testers. If youā€™d like to join, sign up here.Ā 

Better user experience for invoice management

Two small but significant updates are introduced to improve how you filter and view invoices in Karbon.

Youā€™re now able to apply a filter in the Billing > Invoices and Billing > Unbilled section and have the filter persist as you navigate throughout the product.

This user experience update ensures your invoice view remains consistent in a given session and saves you time from applying the same filters repeatedly

This release also gives you the ability to easily open invoices in a new tab using ā€˜ctrl+clickā€™ (for Windows) or ā€˜cmd+clickā€™ (for Mac).

When you want to quickly view invoices without navigating away from the main invoice list, this update will provide you with the much-needed convenience.

Previous releases

If you missed an update, you can still see a list of what we released in Karbon. For API releases, see the Karbon Developer Center.

These are all fantastic updates šŸ˜

Great to see Deadlines becoming as good as Due Dates and the updates to filters in Billing are much appreciated as well šŸ™šŸ½

I know itā€™s a small thing, but I love sticky filters.

Same - would also be nice if theĀ Work ViewĀ filters were sticky! Too many times Iā€™ll accidentally open a contact/work item in the same tab instead of a new one, or just get distracted then click somewhere else entirely and lose the filters!

These are great updates! Thank you!

nice job with deadline. US tax pros thank you!

Is there much of a difference between due dates and deadlines? If the deadline was for today and the due date was for next week,Ā would the work show up differently or would it still sit in the due next week column of the kanban view? Other than clicking into the job itself, can we tell what the deadline dateĀ is at a glance and if it has surpassed the deadline?

@ShareneĀ The way Iā€™m using this feature in the US for tax returns in particular:Ā  Ā 

Due date is when I have to finish and deliver the work to the client.

Deadline is the government filing dueĀ date.Ā  The ability to edit in the work list will come in handy when Iā€™ve filed extensions and need to change the deadline date for extended returns.Ā 

Weā€™re doing the same in AU @Steve WortmanĀ and @ShareneĀ šŸ™‚

Deadlines = Statutory/Compliance Due Date for lodgement

Due Date = when we want to/have agreed with client to finish the work

Due Date and Deadline are different fields, so where possible you can sort or filter by them separately (although Deadline may still be being built into some areas for filtering and sorting)

This is excellent. Is it possible to get access to this beta?

The deadline feature is still open to beta testers. If youā€™d like to join, sign up here.Ā 

@DAVID THOMSONĀ šŸ™‚

Same - would also be nice if theĀ Work ViewĀ filters were sticky! Too many times Iā€™ll accidentally open a contact/work item in the same tab instead of a new one, or just get distracted then click somewhere else entirely and lose the filters!

Yes!Ā  Can Work View filters be saved as defaults?

Hi @drich208,

What do you mean as default? šŸ™‚

Did you know you can Save a Work View and Share a Work View (with Colleagues)

https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/6038484-view-work-and-manage-work-views#h_d7373f82b3

Does that help?

My problem is that I start from a saved work view and then make changes to the view and forget to save and then leave to go check out a work item, come back to the work view and it's back to the saved version which is not what I wanted at the time. lol.

HiĀ @drich208,

What do you mean as default? šŸ™‚

Did you know you can Save a Work View and Share a Work View (with Colleagues)

https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/6038484-view-work-and-manage-work-views#h_d7373f82b3

Does that help?

It certainly does, thanks!

My problem is that I start from a saved work view and then make changes to the view and forget to save and then leave to go check out a work item, come back to the work view and it's back to the saved version which is not what I wanted at the time. lol.

Yes, totally.Ā  Maybe they need a prompt when you leave to save the new work view, lol

Iā€™d love if clicking on a hyperlink from a work dashboard opened a new window. That would solve it for me.

True.Ā  One of your right-click options is ā€œopen in a new tabā€ but then youā€™d have to remember to right-click it every time LOL, which I know I wonā€™t.

Yeah, my team uses the right click + new tab option, but Iā€™d rather just click and go. šŸ˜

I like clicking with the scroll wheelĀ or the ctrl+leftclick šŸ˜