Blog

Invoice exports, Australian card payments, and KPI credentials

Related products: Billing & Payments Practice Intelligence

This release makes it easy to import invoices into QuickBooks Online or Xero, adds the ability to accept card payments from Australian clients, and gives KPI customers one-click credential access.

Improvements to invoice exports

If you use Quickbooks Online or Xero for your invoicing, you can export your invoices produced through the Billing & Payments beta program and import them into your general ledger. 

The presentation of these invoice exports has been improved so that you can import them cleanly, reducing the need to make any further adjustments.

Australian card payments added to Billing & Payments beta

Card payments are now available in Australia as part of the Billing & Payments beta program. Australian clients can pay using their credit or debit card for invoices sent through Karbon.

View your KPI credentials

You can now access your Karbon Practice Intelligence credentials within Karbon, which saves you time when setting up a new workbook. From the Intelligence tab in Karbon, you’ll see a new option to view Intelligence Credentials. Open that to view and copy your Locator, Region, Username and Password.

If you don’t have Karbon Practice Intelligence enabled for your firm, learn more here.

I’m interested to test out the invoice export. 😁

KPI creds not showing yet

I’d like to understand the billing feature in greater detail. 

Is there a auto debit facility?

What are the fees?  

How can I attached extra information or ask them to agree to terms and conditions? 

Can I use this to reply ignition???

Hi ​​​@Pauline Haydon, with Karbon Payments your clients can pay you using their cards. They can choose to save their card details when paying, and those details will be used to automate payment collection for future invoices.

Australia Karbon Payments fees (as of 2023-10-16)
Fees are collected at the point of payment, so you receive the net in your payouts. The Journal Runs from the AR Ledger in Karbon Billing have full details of the gross, fees, fees taxes, and net.

• Standard cards (US Visa/Mastercard): 1.95% + 0.30
  • Premium cards (International Visa/Mastercard): 3.5% + 0.30
  • American Express cards: 3.9% + 0.30
  • Direct debit payments are not ready yet. We'll confirm rates when ready.
  • Other fees may be passed on in future (for example: chargebacks, debit failure fees). We will confirm when ready.
  • All fees are tax (GST) inclusive.

Could you please tell me more about your “extra information” request?

Currently we use Ignition to automate our service agreements, issuing invoices & payment collections. 

The fees are very similar to you plus a subscription…

I can attached documents, authorities etc that are all signed at point of agreement… if they don’t automate their payment collection we don’t work with them. 

This is the kind of thing I would need Karbon billing to do to consider it…. does it stack up? 

@Pauline Haydon I like what you’re saying about payment details, that’s my opinion too. Having client payments details saved means that payment collection becomes far less of a burden.

Billing is focussed on invoicing and payment collection.

With Karbon Billing you can

• Produce invoices from your work and time in Karbon
  • Make adjustments to those invoices
  • Either export invoices to your GL (and therefore manage payments and AR there)
  • Or send through Karbon and collect payments and manage your AR in Karbon
  • Where clients can pay via an invoice magic link and save their payment details so future invoice payments are collected automatically

We’re currently working on recurring fixed fee billing

• Invoice a fixed fee regularly (e.g. monthly)
  • Covering a range of services of any cadence (e.g. weekly payroll, one offs)
  • Regardless of the work that is delivered

We’re also adding countries for payments, and have started work on direct debits for the US (ACH). Direct debits for other countries will come in 2024.

Let us know if you’re interested in getting access to the Billing beta and I can email you some details.

@Jono Rees these will be available shortly. We had to delay the feature by a couple of days

That sounds like it’s moving in the right direction @Dave George …

We collect fees weekly - we are very compliance and bookkeeping heavy we found it much easier to have a per week conversation than a monthly conversation around money. 

This meant that we lower barrier conversations and collected more fees easier annually 

Small & often seemed seems to work. 

Also I need something where I control the pulling of the payment! 

Currently the agree up front, they can’t sign my agreement unless they provide payment details & agree to the direct debit so I have no (very little) risk and no receivable problems. 

Asking a client to enter details & save them after an invoice is issued is too late. 

This would need to be resolved. 

@Pauline Haydon we will definitely be making ways of collecting details pre invoice in future. I’m in total agreement with you on the importance of getting those details up front, and can’t wait to support that!

Australia Karbon Payments fees (as of 2023-10-16)
Fees are collected at the point of payment, so you receive the net in your payouts. The Journal Runs from the AR Ledger in Karbon Billing have full details of the gross, fees, fees taxes, and net.

• Standard cards (US Visa/Mastercard): 1.95% + 0.30
  • Premium cards (International Visa/Mastercard): 3.5% + 0.30
  • American Express cards: 3.9% + 0.30
  • Direct debit payments are not ready yet. We'll confirm rates when ready.
  • Other fees may be passed on in future (for example: chargebacks, debit failure fees). We will confirm when ready.
  • All fees are tax (GST) inclusive.

Is there any way to prevent a client using one of those card types with the higher fees if we are trying to limit our fee exposure? 🙂

Can we have an option to pass on the fee? (So client chooses to use their Standard card and Karbon updates the amount to fee amount x 1.0195 + 0.30?

@SamG not yet, but we have fee control measures on the roadmap and are looking at both of the options you’ve mentioned.