Question

Sending Client Requests - How many people do you need to send one request to?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi Karbon Community! 

Sending to Multiple People (being able to send a client request to more than one person) is in development but I had two questions I’d love some more information on: 

1. How many people do you need to send one request to? 
  2. Does the number tend to be the same or are there circumstances where you would need to send the request to more or less people? 

Thank you! 

22 replies

In general, 2-3 is normal, but when dealing with a large entity (international, many locations, many needs for the same information we are providing) this can be anywhere between 10 to 15 people. Additionally, when dealing with an entity or person that has some legal issue, all the lawyers need to be cc’d on all communications, and that can also be a significant amount (between 5 & 10)...

Chiming in as well as I can’t wait for this feature to be released. For us, we would most often send to 2-3 people but for our larger clients having up to 5 would be nice.

Primarily 2, sometimes 3. I don’t think there would be a need for anything over 5 like others have said.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We desperately need 2 for married client tasks.  Currently, I have to make two identical tasks and send one to each.  Then we need to see who has completed what and mark the others as received from the spouse.

3 would be useful for our clients who have us send their returns to them and their financial advisors. I don’t think we would ever need more than 5.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Most of the time it is two people, very rarely there are three people involved. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you everyone. This was very helpful. 

Looking over my past few months of emails, most often I need to reach out to two people. Often this is dynamic and is because my normal contact is going on vacation and can only work on a portion of their usual duties. On occasion during tax season I needed to email three people, usually two business partners and their normal bookkeeper. 

I would say that I have never needed to send an information request to more than 5 people. I would also that that I often need to bring in a new person after an information request has been sent out so being able to add someone after the initial sending would be appreciated. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Pretty much agreed with everyone here, I think the average use for us would be 2-3 people. However, I can already think of scenarios where we would do more than 10 if it was possible. Such as payroll, for clients we send requests for timesheets to their employees… if we could send one checklist to all of them, and they can upload their timesheets there, that would be so much easier to update if the payroll dates change or anything like that. Just one example, but you get the idea. 

OOOO great use case. I’d add to that, if we had the ability to assign a client task to a specific client contact, that would be great too! But not have it be a necessity so we can choose if we want only one person in the list to access the task and check it off or have it open to anyone that receives it to check it off. Having it all in one checklist can also give the client manager and us the visibility of what was submitted (as in Mel’s example) Yep...I know. I just unloaded the crazy bus of ideas here. 🚎 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

2-3 is our most common situation. I cannot imagine wanting to add more than that, however if we had the ability to CC an unlimited number of people (or larger number of people) for visibility, that could be useful.

We like the idea of assigning tasks to one person, and that’s how most of our business client requests are handled. For individual tax returns, usually each spouse contributes different information, and we don’t know who will contribute what so it would be great to send to both in that case.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Pretty much agreed with everyone here, I think the average use for us would be 2-3 people. However, I can already think of scenarios where we would do more than 10 if it was possible. Such as payroll, for clients we send requests for timesheets to their employees… if we could send one checklist to all of them, and they can upload their timesheets there, that would be so much easier to update if the payroll dates change or anything like that. Just one example, but you get the idea. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I agree @Terri Warren the ability to have more/no limitation really would be ideal

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’m posting this to our team and will update when/if I hear back from them.

But, the information we got about this upcoming feature stated no limits. Of course we wouldn’t want to be limited in the event it needs to go to more than 10, but I think a happy medium of 7 would be ok. 

Use case for 10 or more: Large client with multiple locations, payroll approvals, MEC review by each of those managers, 1099 vendor qtrly review at each location, administrators at different locations and departments that could assist in review and collaboration whereas they were not able to before.

If you give us a new toy, we will find people to play with us and use it.

Team update: Consensus is 5. But having the ability for more would be more comfortable in the odd time it’s needed. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

My thoughts echo most of the comments above here - having the ability to send to 2-3 people is critical, but more would be nice for larger clients or unique scenarios. Over the past several years practicing at different firms (all serving small business owners in varying capacities), I can’t think of a scenario when I would have sent a single checklist to more than 5 recipients (if it was possible).

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’m posting this to our team and will update when/if I hear back from them.

But, the information we got about this upcoming feature stated no limits. Of course we wouldn’t want to be limited in the event it needs to go to more than 10, but I think a happy medium of 7 would be ok. 

Use case for 10 or more: Large client with multiple locations, payroll approvals, MEC review by each of those managers, 1099 vendor qtrly review at each location, administrators at different locations and departments that could assist in review and collaboration whereas they were not able to before.

If you give us a new toy, we will find people to play with us and use it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

In agreement as well with all other commenters. Most often 2, sometimes 3, rarely (but could happen) more than 3. I would also think unlikely that we would need more than 5.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am with the other commentors here, typically 2 sometimes 3.  

Badge

I would say mostly 2 or possibly 3.  Option for up to 5 would be great, just in case, but I don’t think more than that would be needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Most often just two but at times it could be 3. It’s unlikely that it would ever get as high as 5 for us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@SamG @Mel Ford as a follow up question, would you ever need to send a request to more than 5 or even more than 10 people? 

I don’t want to say never, but I think more than 5 would be less than 0.01% likely and more than 10 would be less than 0.001% likely 🙂

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
  2. Does the number tend to be the same or are there circumstances where you would need to send the request to more or less people? 

Often 2, sometimes 3, maybe more:

If a business is owned by two people (mum and dad, business partners, etc), you may want to send the client request to both.

You may want to send the client request to the owner and also the manager.

There may be more administrative/management staff you wish to send the client request to.

There may be more than two owners/managers 🙂

@SamG @Mel Ford as a follow up question, would you ever need to send a request to more than 5 or even more than 10 people? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Often 2, sometimes 3, maybe more:

If a business is owned by two people (mum and dad, business partners, etc), you may want to send the client request to both.

You may want to send the client request to the owner and also the manager.

There may be more administrative/management staff you wish to send the client request to.

There may be more than two owners/managers 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

At least 2 for us. I’m sure I could think of applications where we’d use more but it depends on how it works.