Feature Request - Recurring Work at a Template Level

• 6 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Karbon Community,

I think it would be phenomenal to be able to set Recurring Work Schedules at a Template Level.

What do you think?

-Reino

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yup!

And if you combine it with being able to set due dates based on organisational information e.g. Year End or Incorporation Date; that would be a power feature.

You could automate the entire work creation process at a template level. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I would love if this feature was rolled out with the statutory deadlines feature. I don’t know when it’s coming, but if we all put it through the suggest a feature under help and settings, maybe it’ll rise to the top.

There’s a lot of really good stuff in the works with Karbon, but this would be a great one to push towards the top.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, agree!  Great idea. 

I understand that the recurring work pulls the tasks from the previous job but it would be nice if any updates made to the template used to set up the recurring work were somehow incorporated in to the new job. 

I often tweak and update the templates but those changes don't show up because so much of our work is recurring.  

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

The struggle is real, Nancy

We do a few different things to deal with this for recurring work.  I always make sure that I let the team know the work order has been updated, they are usually happy enough with the changes to partner with me to get them fully implemented.

We revisit our recurring work once per year when we re-engage with our monthly clients so the new work orders push through from the proposal software but again if there has been customization it may get lost.  Ideally the ‘old’ work order expires, the new one gets set up for the new recurring schedule and the custom tasks get imported or even better the custom tasks are set up on their own work order that continues with each re-engagement with that client.

The other option is to request a bulk update.

Having the option make the updates appear on non-customized recurring work would be amazing.  Maybe have a way to ‘turn off’ updates on specific work orders otherwise all published updated are adopted automatically?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Victoria, I'll look into the bulk update option.  Meanwhile I'll put in a feature suggestion, thanks Max. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Agree! Just sent in a feature request from our team. This would be such a time saver!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would love if this feature was rolled out with the statutory deadlines feature. I don’t know when it’s coming, but if we all put it through the suggest a feature under help and settings, maybe it’ll rise to the top.

There’s a lot of really good stuff in the works with Karbon, but this would be a great one to push towards the top.

Fully agree! To me this is a core workflow feature, and I find it surprising that Karbon does not consider it a foundational basic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, this would be nice.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, agree!  Great idea. 

I understand that the recurring work pulls the tasks from the previous job but it would be nice if any updates made to the template used to set up the recurring work were somehow incorporated in to the new job. 

I often tweak and update the templates but those changes don't show up because so much of our work is recurring.  

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Victoria, I'll look into the bulk update option.  Meanwhile I'll put in a feature suggestion, thanks Max. 

You can reset recurring work from the recurring work item itself, which will then pull through the updated template.

The only downside is that you 1) have to do them one by one, and 2) you will lose any custom tasks that you have added for a spesific client.

Reset Recurring Work Item

Otherwise reaching out for a bulk update will certainly do the trick! Although I think Karbon charges for this.