Question

Auto-Sharing - Colleagues on vacation/leave - Work arounds?

• 27 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

tl;dr - If auto-sharing of email is on, does Karbon handle this in the background even if the user isn’t logging in?

Scenario - trying to work around not being able to ‘share’ colleagues triages/inboxes through Karbon

We currently have a colleague on leave.

As a work around to not being to access their triage we have set in the back end of our email system to deliver anything addressed from colleague@ to assist@ (our shared triage)

The idea behind this was that we’d be able to add job timelines on emails that come in and keep jobs moving while the colleague is away.

The issue we are having here is the emails arrive in assist@ but show TO as the colleague and Karbon is treating this like a BCC. 

So obviously our work around doesn’t work which has lead me to thinking of it another way.

We can obviously search emails in Karbon from colleagues (We all have auto-share on) and this allows me to add emails to a timeline even if I’m not the recipient. 

This could work for our purpose, however we are noticing that emails received while the user has been away aren’t visible in the system. This leads me to believe that Auto-sharing isn’t happening in the background periodically and must be tied to a login event/something similar happening by the user.

Historically we would (and still do) login to each others Gmail under delegate access, which is O.K. but it doesn’t help with keeping our workflow smooth when emails can’t be added to jobs/timelines.

Does anyone have any hacks/ideas/suggestions except for users sharing their login credentials?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Shaun Farrugia I’m not sure how the Shared Triage handles forwarded emails but before this was an available option in Karbon we would do what you are suggesting but forwarded to another individual collegues triage. Eg. Person 1 is away & their email is auto-forwarded to my email.

From memory the emails still show in my triage as TO Person 1 but I am able to assign & comment as usual. These also all show up under search with no issues.

I’m unsure what about the emails coming into the Shared Triage as a BCC that isn’t working for you? Could you elaborate on what exactly this is not doing that you would want it to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The issue we are having here is the emails arrive in assist@ but show TO as the colleague and Karbon is treating this like a BCC. 

There's a limitation in shared triage where emails that are not specifically addressed to the shared triage are not actionable.

From memory the emails still show in my triage as TO Person 1 but I am able to assign & comment as usual. These also all show up under search with no issues.

What @CBC-Office suggests here should work. You could assign the emails sent to the person on leave to come into an individual's triage instead of a shared triage and you would be able to interact with emails just as if they were yours.