Question

Workflow for requesting receipts from clients?

• 24 August 2021
  • 3 replies

We have a client that has expressed a desire to have receipts tied to every transaction in QBO. We currently push all uploaded receipts from Dext to QBO and match, but are brainstorming about the best workflow and report to send her to show what still doesn’t have receipts. Any thoughts or best practices? 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

So I don’t think QBO has a report that you can separately create, but I found a hack to work around that:

From the Expense tab on the left menu select Expense

Click the Gear Icon above the Action column, then Show More

Put a check mark next to Attachments

A new column will now appear in your view.

Click the paperclip to sort transactions so either ones with attachments show first or those without show first.  

You can then filter this view by dates and then could take a screenshot and send to client. 

Not as cool as an actual report, but it works!

My firm uses the bank feeds. All of our clients are audited every year by an independent CPA. We do not record anything that is not documented. So, we use the bank feeds to match transactions. Anything that is left in the bank feed list are items that do not have documents. This can be exported to Excel and sent to the client. We do this on a weekly basis.

We started doing this by sending a link to the client's website accounting to the client. After logging in, the client will immediately see the current list of selected payments (income or expenses without documents) and does not have to search for anything. The client can either write a comment here or find out the details of the transaction. It's easier than sending a weekly Excel spreadsheet.

The condition is that your accounting sw can do it on the web.