Question

Seasonal employees

• 1 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We are curious how other firms who utilize seasonal employees involve them (or not) in the Karbon ecosystem. Any best practices to share?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Smitty!

We do not use seasonal employees. We are testing out SurePrep this year for US 1040/1041 returns. It’s an OCR software that scans, organizes, and fills data into our tax software.

We think of it in similar terms as temp labor, but of course it’s a machine.

I’m curious to hear what others have done.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We have used seasonal employees in the past but not since starting with karbon last year. 

We do outsource and what we have found is that once we gave our outsourced team member access via Karbon, we saved so much management time - so if we were to take on a seasonal employee again (and I’m not ruling it out), I’d subscribe to Karbon for that period as the time saved outweighed the cost in subscription.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

We are looking at adding seasonal staff in the new year and plan to set them up in Karbon for the same reasons @Coral noted, I am sure the time invested in training them into Karbon will be easily made up in the time saved managing the workflow.  This is for our 100% virtual team, I may have a different view for on-site staffing, depending on the role.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Smitty, 

We used seasonal employees or I better say we do hire Co-Op students every 3 months. What we do is we sign them up in Karbon using a standard email/user (e.g. admin@email.com). 

If we will off-board someone they can use the same credentials as the new employee and all the previous work items, to-dos and emails are still attached on the same credentials and they can easily review and back read all the conversation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Smitty, 

We used seasonal employees or I better say we do hire Co-Op students every 3 months. What we do is we sign them up in Karbon using a standard email/user (e.g. admin@email.com). 

If we will off-board someone they can use the same credentials as the new employee and all the previous work items, to-dos and emails are still attached on the same credentials and they can easily review and back read all the conversation. 

This is an interesting idea but makes me nervous. I like to know who said and sent what and when. When you archive a staff member, you can assign all their work to someone else, as an alternative.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You could also use aliases available in Google Workspace/Gmail tools.  A seasonal employee could use an abbreviation of their name, but still access admin@ in Karbon.  Gmail continues to service the original address, and you have an alias connected that will continue to live on for as long as needed.  It also gives some accountability if the temp is using their own named email, and an easy way to search for their mail activity.