Optional Tasks

• 19 January 2022
  • 3 replies

We are new to Karbon and I was curious how everyone handles “optional” tasks. For instance, we have a task called “follow up on missing items” but if there are no missing items do you skip this task or check it off anyway? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Welcome to Karbon @anecelis 

For these types of tasks we include the words (as needed) right in the task name and in the description we add, “if not needed, mark this task cancelled”.  Then the team member assigned to the task will mark the task as Cancelled (this is a sub status to the Completed status).  

We like it so we can differentiate between tasks that are actually completed and those that are cancelled.  For overkill I also ask the team to add a comment like “N/A or Not Needed”

You need to make sure that this is an option at the task level on work orders. 

I find this gives closure to work orders.

------------

The set up looks like this in Setting -- Workflow -- Statuses

The set up looks like this in Setting -- Workflow -- Work Types and then selecting the specific work types so you can assign the statuses you want to be available. 

I hope that helps

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I think it’s a great idea to add ‘as needed’ in a title as it make it very clear and to add in the description.

I would recommend that the task is updated and ticked off even if there isn’t anything ‘needed’ otherwise it will remain in  your ‘to do’ list - or like we have had one of our team didn’t want to close jobs down because items were still outstanding - this way it makes it clear to everyone.

I often add a comment, more so I can remember later (I can’t even remember the colour of my socks right now) and can look back. I’ll write none needed, or nothing further or something meaningful.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

We created. a completed status of NCN - Not Considered Necessary