Question

How do you keep track of your to-do list?

• 8 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can you share some best practices on how to make sure that you are not missing anything on your to-dos?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

One of the best ways I find is to work through from Triage and first, clear and respond to notifications, then @ mentions and finally emails.

I allocate what I can to either a job or to-do’s and work through them in order. For me, I can usually delegate this to someone, so I’m not the only person who can deal with it.

We also hold a team meeting daily, and can keep a reminder on meeting deadlines and the ‘to-do’s and I can look at what my colleagues have in their lists - which help to us to collaborate and support each other. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I take a similar approach as Coral to clear Triage first, assigning what I can from there to my or my colleague’s to-do lists.

I find that setting the due dates to accurately reflect when I truly believe the work will get done helps prioritize the work.

For items in the future I will also set a future to-do date and status updates if appropriate, so my to-do list does not look too crazy.

And then depending on the day I will change how I sort.

My default sort by is due date and that usually keeps me on track if I have allocated reasonable due dates.

If I am having a deep work kind of day or a day that doesn’t happen to have a lot of currently due items I will sort by client and knock off what I can from there.  

When I just don’t know where to start I will sort by status - at the very least that view will help me revisit priorities, set dates and go back to my default sort by due date that may now have items that are currently due..

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My default view is by Client.  Making sure all incoming jobs or emails are tagged to a client and I then move them around depending on whom I am dealing with on that day.

We often use custom status’ too, like Important, Urgent, Important & Urgent for example under the Planned parent status so that we can flag whichever job and then sort by status so we can tackle the urgent & important ones first before starting on the rest.

Often organising the to do list is something I dont tend to do and I end up feeling overwhelmed so I do have room to improve.  It’s just lower down on the priority list once I get through my triage and start working. But using it in this way helps manage tasks and delegate where needed.

If you are managing others and want to see what they have on, I prefer the Work tab rather than the My Colleagues TO Do List, so that I can see what is overdue and at what stage.  You can update the status and the todo from that view and find it easier to view a teams progress/outstanding in this way

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Karbon has some great articles on T0-Dos as well.  You can even watch a video.

https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/2623633-learn-how-karbon-works-to-do-lists