Solved

How are you handling extensions in Karbon?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
  • Sr. Karbon Community Guide
  • 1111 replies

Here in the US, we have many of our partnerships and s-corp companies extended. I don’t see an easy way to handle this in Karbon other than going in and individually changing the due date on each work item.

Has anyone else come up with a best practice for this or have any ideas about how to handle it?

icon

Best answer by kylenecarse 14 June 2022, 16:14

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We are. We have a task within the tax work item that directs to an extension work item, changing the status of the tax work item, then working from the extension work and back to the standard tax work item. Status and work flows utilizing client tasks, etc.

Badge

We do have a section for extension and would love to find a way to create a report based on tasks… 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Following because we go in and update each one so….

I really wish you could have the automator change the due date to be a specific date. The only thing I can think of is having it change the due date of the work to be the # of days after the initial due date when the Extension task is completed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@max I added a Feature Request related to this topic.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I was talking with my Karbon rep the other day and he mentioned a unique approach… he has been having people create work types like “1040 - Extended” to track the which returns have been extended without messing up the actual work item.

We don’t change the initial due date anymore because it’s manual, and we still consider the work item late even if it’s extended.

Does anyone use the “… - Extended” work type setup?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@max We must have the same rep!  He told me about this too, and although I think it’s a really cool idea and could be useful for firms that don’t have as much tax work, we push over 600 tax returns of which prob 50-60% are extended, so that’s a lot of clicks to go into each work item and change the work type.  Plus I think it could cause issues on the repeat too, if you use the repeating work schedule.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@max I added a Feature Request related to this topic.  

Voted. 😀

Badge

I was talking with my Karbon rep the other day and he mentioned a unique approach… he has been having people create work types like “1040 - Extended” to track the which returns have been extended without messing up the actual work item.

We don’t change the initial due date anymore because it’s manual, and we still consider the work item late even if it’s extended.

Does anyone use the “… - Extended” work type setup?

It would work for us since we track status on stage of return so I don’t wont to mess with that. They way I see extensions, it’s a separate lane and I don’t want to mess with the actual return flow.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We use two work items for the tax return process. A Tax return and an extension project. If an extension is filed it is noted in the tax return project and the status is changed to EXT w/ info or EXT w/o info. We then work and complete the extension in a separate work item. This helps for reporting and workflow tracking of the separate projects (Tax returns and extension process). It worked well for us in the 2021 filing season.

Badge

We use two work items for the tax return process. A Tax return and an extension project. If an extension is filed it is noted in the tax return project and the status is changed to EXT w/ info or EXT w/o info. We then work and complete the extension in a separate work item. This helps for reporting and workflow tracking of the separate projects (Tax returns and extension process). It worked well for us in the 2021 filing season.

This is a solution. We didn’t do this because we didn’t want to create more ‘works’ than absolutely necessary. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Jacob Oberlander We fought the idea of adding more work, but it has been a game changer for busy season. The advantage to having the separate projects are that they are separate projects. We have instances where one person is working on the EXT while another is working on the T/R. We also like that the EXT has a clear starting point, process, and ending point, so it can be completed prior to the statutory due date. This really helps manage the work outside of statuses and due dates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@Blake Meester do you add an extension work item for every client, or just those that you know are being extended?  Do you have your CSM bulk upload these work items once you know who needs them?  I do like the idea, but I am trying to get my arms around managing likely an additional 400-500 work items between our business and individual tax clients.  

Also, am I understanding correctly that you change the status of the actual tax work item to EXT as well?  If yes, how do you manage that work back to the status it was in prior to the extension filing?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@kylenecarse In our Tax return Work template, we have a section that address the decision to EXT or not. If we choose to EXT, then we create the EXT work item. So there are only EXT work items for relevant projects. We do this one at a time as it comes up. We are working to use the @ Mention to have Admin run this work creation process, but team members can also do it.

We have found that having the EXT project helps manage since you can filter by the work type and look at a list of either T/R or EXT.

Yes - We change the status of the actual T/R work items to EXT w/ info or EXT w/o info. This means we can be done with it until after 4/15. After 4/15, these turn into work items that are essentially - “Ready to Start.” The Manager/Prepare jumps back in to the T/R project and would work it and then set the status to the proper phase.