Feedback needed? Give me a like if interested in sustainability.

• 29 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

For 2020 and 2021, Karbon has become carbon neutral by auditing and offsetting our carbon footprint (1K tons of CO2 in 2020, and 1.7K tons of CO2 in 2021). With the help of RyeStrategy, we have passed along the understanding, details, and templates to enable your practice to become carbon neutral, and also to perform carbon neutrality advisory with your clients.

Question, is sustainability something that interests you? Have you done this with your clients? What resources would you like to have?

If interested in the topic of sustainability, give a like to this post. I want to measure the level of interest. If you have some thoughts, comments or questions to add, leave a comment.

I would personally like to know your thoughts and what Karbon can do to help to make a broader impact in the world we live in (specifically in the area of sustainability and social accounting).

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

What do you mean by social accounting?

Userlevel 2

Great questions Max! For the last century, the accounting industry has focused on business compliance. But now, with the fourth industrial revolution and tech advancements, accountants have the opportunity to be more than just compliance agents.

Social accounting is about helping businesses become forces for good. Social Accountants are guiding clients to achieve a triple bottom line: people, planet and profits. They help their clients be purposeful, community-minded, and kind to the planet.

Userlevel 2

What do you mean by social accounting?

Great questions Max! For the last century, the accounting industry has focused on business compliance. But now, with the fourth industrial revolution and tech advancements, accountants have the opportunity to be more than just compliance agents.

Social accounting is about helping businesses become forces for good. Social Accountants are guiding clients to achieve a triple bottom line: people, planet and profits. They help their clients be purposeful, community-minded, and kind to the planet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I see. That fits with our core values as a firm, though I am having a hard enough time getting our team to work thoughtfully and within a management system. Our clients are also pretty low on the self-actualization scale, lol, so I love the idea, but I’m not sure how practical it is for us right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We as a firm are trying to go paperless, but we still have a lot of client training to reach this goal.  Improving the client experience when completing tasks will really help.  We need everything as easy and with the fewest steps possible while maintaining a secure link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I had not thought of it this way.  We are almost completely virtual but have focused on the ease of use for our clients and our team.  Using platforms to upload and fetch documents reduces paper and the financial and environment impact of not moving the paper around is a side benefit rather then a purpose.  When we communicate with our clients about being virtual it is often about the challenges we have overcome not the bottom line of people, planet and profits. 

I am very interested in this topic and how we can bring it to our clients and our team.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks. What is the social accounting here, different from ESG hot topic recently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

We are a firm of environmentally conscious people and mostly paperless (no paper files, print the odd report for client or agenda for client meeting).

Our client base is almost entirely medical and dental practices and practitioners. There is definitely a lot of environmental impact in healthcare (I shudder to think of the billions of masks barely used and filling landfills and waterways every day), I’d be interested to know if it is even possible for our clients to offset the environmental impact of the wastage in their industry.

I also wonder how many would be interested in that from us, compliance isn’t getting easier (despite what software providers tell you) and advisory with the number of data points (and software applications) is also very resource intensive, so how do we provide the quality service our clients want and expect and also offer sustainability accounting.

If I were servicing a different industry of clients, I’d definitely be more interested in it (as I think clients would be - when sustainability/environmental impact is front of mind and in the news for their industry).