Question

Benefits of tracking time for both work and contacts?

• 9 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi! I just synchronized Karbon with QB Time. As I use QBO for payroll, the integration with QB Time is handy so that staff can stay in one system (Karbon) to track their hours. So far, I have set up the sync to track time against contacts only.  I am curious if there is a benefit to setting this option to track time against “Contacts & Work” instead. As background, I have service items set up in QB Time & QBO that largely mirror what I have for “work” items in Karbon and staff already have to select a service item in their timesheet so I am not sure if tracking time to “work” in Karbon is redundant. Does tracking time against “work” in Karbon benefit budgeting and reporting features in Karbon?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Great questions @Grace McKay

I have been syncing QB Time in my firm for a while now… back when it was called TSheets. 😆 I track all time to work which gives me the benefit of seeing efficiency of each work item. This can also help when budgeting work items then comparing to actual in Karbon.

Hope this helps.  

#Time&Budgets

We went away from this approach because we were also syncing the time to QBO for billing and the invoices were terrible. It also adds a sub-client for every work item, which is no good if you split your work items down.

We switched to tracking by work item in Karbon Time only. We are in our first few weeks, so I’m not sure if it’s better yet. 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Great questions @Grace McKay

I have been syncing QB Time in my firm for a while now… back when it was called TSheets. 😆 I track all time to work which gives me the benefit of seeing efficiency of each work item. This can also help when budgeting work items then comparing to actual in Karbon.

Hope this helps.  

#Time&Budgets