Updates to Work Insights, and more!

Updates to Work Insights

You can now navigate deeper into your Work Insights with the work status sub-chart. You can drill down beyond primary work statuses to better-understand how long your work stays in each sub-status, helping you to identify bottlenecks and opportunities within your workflows.

This is the first of several updates coming to Insights over the coming months!

To find the work status sub-chart, navigate to Insights from your main side menu. Your Work Insights dashboard will display the average number of days work is spent in each primary status.

When you select ‘View Report’, this data is broken down to expose the average number of days work has spent in each sub-status.

From here, you can select the chart’s title and the filters above to adjust your search parameters.

Update to work export

Exports of work data now include a column for Planned Week. This information shows the week each item is planned in your My Week.

To the comments! How do you plan to use this visibility into sub-statuses to coach your team or assess throughput?

Weak release, in my opinion. But thanks for continuing to improve the product. Your data exports are pretty bad (especially around time and people who do not use QB Time). Bulk task creation and bulk client requests would have made an exponentially greater impact on your clients going into tax/planning season. 

I’ll also add that seeing time reports across all clients, an average of the last X months time by client, or a graph showing specific Org time over 12 months in a graph would be helpful. The way Karbon is built right now, it is not helping firms that focus on fixed priced / value billing. 

I’ll second that - I’d love feature releases that are basic as these sophisticated updates are the last thing on my mind running a small firm. 

Bulk edits/adds/deletes is no 1. 

How about more data fields/columns on contacts so we can track which clients have CFO services vs BAS etc etc, similar views/filters on contacts to work

List goes on and on. 

Thanks 

Weak release, in my opinion. But thanks for continuing to improve the product. Your data exports are pretty bad (especially around time and people who do not use QB Time). Bulk task creation and bulk client requests would have made an exponentially greater impact on your clients going into tax/planning season. 

Sit tight @Trey Fulmer it’s going to be an exciting 2022! Our developers work and release in three-week sprint periods, however many projects require multiple sprints to complete. So, specific release days can look extra big (or small) just through random alignment.

The bulk actions you listed are all available today through our Data Services team. I’ll have someone reach out to you offline.

I’ll second that - I’d love feature releases that are basic as these sophisticated updates are the last thing on my mind running a small firm. 

Bulk edits/adds/deletes is no 1. 

How about more data fields/columns on contacts so we can track which clients have CFO services vs BAS etc etc, similar views/filters on contacts to work

List goes on and on. 

Thanks 

Bad news I’m afraid @Paul Volpe , we’ve got some epic big features on the docket for this year. We do want to continue improving how we inform and educate on large changes though, so thank you for your patience and please keep sending feedback on where you experience or worry about distraction.

But the good news is that, as you may have noticed at the tail end of last year, we’re making a conscious effort to do more frequent “little” adjustments and “quick wins” to balance out the big feature releases.

Hear, hear! What I would do for a “tag” functionality to easily sort clients by service line or certain tax filing requirements…

Since we are talking about reports, I would like to see the ability to see budget vs actual time for each client. Right now, I must use QBT for this and the bridge between Karbon and QBT is sad. It has taken a year to get the two to communicate halfway descent. Since all our data and focus is on Karbon, then I feel all reports should reside where the data is. Give us the ability to view each employee on their performance, weekly, monthly, and yearly for each client and all together. This would help tremendously with capacity planning.

I’m a big fan of incremental and continuous improvement, and I love that the Karbon dev team shares my passion.

This particular insight will be key for us as we go into the USA Tax Season:

Updates to Work Insights

When you select ‘View Report’, this data is broken down to expose the average number of days work has spent in each sub-status.

From here, you can select the chart’s title and the filters above to adjust your search parameters.

I’m excited for all the new stuff coming out, especially the feature request voting section of the community. 😀

I second what @max said above!!  I just looked at the new insight, and OH MY GOODNESS, do we have some bottlenecks to clean up.

I am really excited this feature was released now, instead of later, as we were trying to figure out how to track this externally, and now we don’t.  This feature will really shed a light on where the bottlenecks are, and how to improve them, and help us hit our goals on turning around work from start to finish!

@max @kylenecarse we’re the same! The release last night helped me to realise where the bottlenecks are and here in the UK, we have 7 days until Tax Returns are due!

It also prompted a team discussion on things that could be done to help improve next year, like internally having additional checklists or templates to copy and paste (with some editing of course), so yes, I like the update this week.

This update helps me finally confirm what I suspected all along.  Average time spent Waiting for Client was 9 days!  Now I can work on seeing how we can improve that.

Hear, hear! What I would do for a “tag” functionality to easily sort clients by service line or certain tax filing requirements…

Hi @Jonathan Gibson you can do this currently for contacts by using Client Groups, though I appreciate that’s not usually effective for work items (but, that’s often where Work Types in tandem should help). I’d encourage you to post your use case(s) in the “Ask a Peer” section here in Community to see how others have configured to suit.

Since we are talking about reports, I would like to see the ability to see budget vs actual time for each client. Right now, I must use QBT for this and the bridge between Karbon and QBT is sad. It has taken a year to get the two to communicate halfway descent. Since all our data and focus is on Karbon, then I feel all reports should reside where the data is. Give us the ability to view each employee on their performance, weekly, monthly, and yearly for each client and all together. This would help tremendously with capacity planning.

Hi @GDWSuperman , you should get a client-level rollup on the Time tab within the Contact. Do please keep sharing though if there’s key elements missing from that! And, if you haven’t already, make sure to post any sticking points into the “Ask a Peer” Community area - lots of folks I think are tackling similar needs.

I am also appreciating the ‘small’ wins/updates - I think this gives me and my team time to dig into things that might get lost or overlooked in a more involved update.  

Being able to drill down on any insights is pretty cool and like @BrooksW said it has confirmed suspicions!  We will be using this particular report to help our staff understand their own roadblocks and maybe build in some fun competition.

We look forward to each update as it come out.

@evanrnhall Data services team is fine, but navigating the bulk import process and spreadsheet is not ideal for your clients - especially charging $900 for it. I have opted to use the Karbon API for bulk work creation and will continue to develop our needs using the API (which the documentation is somewhat outdated). 

You guys are doing great, don’t mistake my comments for being dissatisfied. I just think you could have a few more practitioners on your product team and spend a little less time doing content development and more time executing feature releases. 

@evanrnhall Data services team is fine, but navigating the bulk import process and spreadsheet is not ideal for your clients - especially charging $900 for it. I have opted to use the Karbon API for bulk work creation and will continue to develop our needs using the API (which the documentation is somewhat outdated). 

You guys are doing great, don’t mistake my comments for being dissatisfied. I just think you could have a few more practitioners on your product team and spend a little less time doing content development and more time executing feature releases. 

Speaking as a content developer, I don’t think you’d want me building features :joy:. Seriously though, we’ve added a number of great folks to our Product team lately, and they’re feverishly at work on all the great ideas we’ve collected.

100% appreciate you can love us and still offer constructive criticism - please keep it up! 

This is a great release that is one step in the right direction. Awesome stuff guys. :wink: