Blog

Updates to Work, Client Portal, Settings, and more!

Related products: Work Time & Budgets Settings Client Portal

Work

New ‘In Status’ column

If your firm uses the First In, First Out (FIFO) or Last In, First Out (LIFO) for production planning and processing, being able to sort work items based on when their workflow status changed is essential for knowing what to action next.

To enable this, a new column called 'In Status' has been added to the Work List. When a work item changes into a new status (including creation), the duration it has been in that particular status will be included in the work export (date and time). 

Items without a status change date will always be at the bottom, regardless of sort direction.

A mock up of the Karbon work list view, with an added 'In Status' column for First In, First Out (FIFO) and Last In, First Out (LIFO) workflow for accounting firms.

Client Portal

Entities with the same email

For clients that manage multiple entities with the same email address, we have added the client name to the request. This increases transparency over who the work belongs to, so they know what to action and for which entity. This will appear on both the magic link view as well as the logged-in view.

The Karbon Client Portal with a list of Open Requests and Completed Requests. Under the name of each request is the client name associated to the request.

Settings

Permissions page is easier to navigate

The permissions page has been redesigned to make the user experience more efficient for admin users who want more control over employee access levels. 

Basic user permissions for standard, restricted, and admin are now under ‘Access’. ‘Extras’ has been renamed ‘Permissions’ to make it clear that users have an access level and then additional permissions. 

Descriptions have been included under each section, so users don’t have to leave the page to understand what permissions include. Finally, the Invite Colleague modal has also been updated to match these new improvements.

A .gif of someone navigating to the User Permissions in Karbon

Company Details new fields

Company Tax Registration Number, Phone Number, and Address fields have been added to the Firm Details section. These additional fields extend your ability to map to invoicing when it is released.

The Account Settings screen in Karbon, including new fields for your firm's company details, such as your firm's tax registration number, address and phone number.

Time

Time admins can edit colleagues' time entries

We have added extra permissions in settings for time admins to edit and submit a colleague’s timesheet entries in cases where the user can’t do this themselves. 

Admin users with this permission can now make adjustments to a colleague’s timesheet. Click on the time entry that needs editing, and edit the required information including notes. The admin user can submit, approve or decline the colleague’s timesheet.

The permissions screen in Karbon for Time and Budgets. There is a new permission in the Time Administrator section called 'Edit Colleagues' Time Entries'.

View history of time entry changes

The timesheet activity section has been expanded to include additional information including an overview of all changes made and by whom, so admins can keep track of who did what and when.

A screenshot of the Timesheet Activity log in action, with a record of Stuart King's updates to a timesheet as an example, moving it from Submitted to Approved to Declined to Submitted.

KPI workbook (released Oct 10)

New time workbook

The new time workbook allows powerful flexibility to view your time data how you need it. Quickly view your time entries by team member, customer, work type, or even work item. 

The new workbook also provides you with the raw tabular data, so you can see everything from individual time entries to aggregated results. 

Previous releases

If you missed an update, you can still see a list of what we released in Karbon. For API releases, see the Karbon Developer Center.

Thanks @leigh, some great updates here 🙂

Time admins can edit colleagues' time entries ✅

View history of time entry changes - I love audit trails, but just now I received a timesheet notification in Triage for me adding a time entry to my timesheet.. hoping that’s not going to happen 20-50 times a day as I am adding them 😅

Sorting by “In Status” does not produce descending or ascending results. 

Thanks @leigh, some great updates here 🙂

View history of time entry changes - I love audit trails, but just now I received a timesheet notification in Triage for me adding a time entry to my timesheet.. hoping that’s not going to happen 20-50 times a day as I am adding them 😅

We are looking into this Sam and will have a fix out as soon as possible 

Hi Trey. Looking into this now. This has been working on all our testing environments so hopefully a quick fix to get it working as expected. 

Thanks @Amelia Freeman 🙂

Hi Trey. Looking into this now. This has been working on all our testing environments so hopefully a quick fix to get it working as expected. 

Hi Trey, Amelia. It’s working in my initial test case here. 

Thank you for this and the entity names in the portal - excited for both! These may feel like small releases (or maybe they don’t) but they feel like big wins to us. :)

Hi Trey, Amelia. It’s working in my initial test case here. 

Thank you for this and the entity names in the portal - excited for both! These may feel like small releases (or maybe they don’t) but they feel like big wins to us. :)

Thanks Jonathan. It should be working now @Trey Fulmer 

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing a release of “capacity reducing” task types. 😊

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing a release of “capacity reducing” task types. 😊

Me too, did you see this somewhere though? 😅 I can’t see any mention of it in this release 🙂

There is this feature idea here:

Thank You, Thank You for the client portal update.  That has been the biggest complaint from our larger customers with multiple businesses. Adding the company name will be a huge enhancement to their portal experience.

Love Love Love 💝 the In Status feature! This is definitely going to help our team prioritize their work!

Adding Client Name in the portal was also much needed so glad that’s been released! We can now go through and remove the client name from work item names 😂

Amazing!  I am loving the In Status and Client Name Feature.  These are game changers.  Thank you so much for these updates!.

I would love to be able to sort the work in this view by time in status:

We basically ONLY use kanban work views and use lists in very specific housekeeping efforts. As a work item travels across a kanban, I would love to have the option to sort by due date and then by time in status. This would help our team know exactly what to do next when they look at the work kanban.

Our team are having this problem, with a new notification for every individual time entry. Will keep an eye out for updates.

In the past with some hot fixes, they didn’t pull through until after a hard refresh.

Link: Instructions

Our team are having this problem, with a new notification for every individual time entry. Will keep an eye out for updates.

Same here. Constant notifications. Can this update be rolled back?

Will the permissions be expanded soon to enable certain standard/restricted users to edit templates so we don’t have to provide admin keys to the Karbon kingdom to do so? Same question around exporting work/contacts. A cherry picking option for users would be awesome.

Will the permissions be expanded soon to enable certain standard/restricted users to edit templates so we don’t have to provide admin keys to the Karbon kingdom to do so? Same question around exporting work/contacts. A cherry picking option for users would be awesome.

I searched for and didn’t find a feature idea for this. If you put one in comment the link here and I will vote for it. 😀

I would love to be able to sort the work in this view by time in status:

We basically ONLY use kanban work views and use lists in very specific housekeeping efforts. As a work item travels across a kanban, I would love to have the option to sort by due date and then by time in status. This would help our team know exactly what to do next when they look at the work kanban.

@max being able to choose the sort method for Kanban columns would be useful! (alphabetical, due date, start date, in progress date).

Here’s the feature request you made awhile back in case others haven’t seen it!

Nice! Voted 😉

I searched for and didn’t find a feature idea for this. If you put one in comment the link here and I will vote for it. 😀

DONE.

Voted! 😀

Work

New ‘In Status’ column

If your firm uses the First In, First Out (FIFO) or Last In, First Out (LIFO) for production planning and processing, being able to sort work items based on when their workflow status changed is essential for knowing what to action next.

To enable this, a new column called 'In Status' has been added to the Work List. When a work item changes into a new status (including creation), the duration it has been in that particular status will be included in the work export (date and time). 

Items without a status change date will always be at the bottom, regardless of sort direction.

A mock up of the Karbon work list view, with an added 'In Status' column for First In, First Out (FIFO) and Last In, First Out (LIFO) workflow for accounting firms.

Is this available? I’m not seeing the “in status” column

Did you select the column in settings?

I tried it and it looks like this:

Did you select the column in settings?

I tried it and it looks like this:

Houston, I think I have a problem….It’s not there.