Skip to main content

Print client requests as PDF, Approvals (beta), faster AI summary, and more

Related products: Triage Work Billing & Payments Client Communication File Management API Client Portal AI

The most-requested feature in Karbon Community is now available to all customers. Plus, you can join the Approvals beta program to test a faster client document approval workflow.

Print or export client requests as PDFs

Saving client requests for audit purposes is now fast and easy.

In a work item, click Print Client Requests Summary and it will generate a formatted PDF that captures all activities, conversations, and uploaded files associated with a specific client request from any work item.

No more manually capturing screenshots for record-keeping. Exporting a full audit trail of client emails and activities can be done in just a few clicks.

Approvals (beta)

Fast-track your client and document approval process with Karbon's Approvals feature.

Obtaining and tracking approvals on documents is a critical but tiring task. Now you can simplify this process, save time, and keep a clean audit trail of activities with the Approvals.

Approvals is the first release in the full roll-out of eSignature to Karbon over the coming months.

Here’s how it works.

• Create an approval task from a work item
    To prepare documents for approval, in the relevant work item, select Add Task > Add Document Approval Task.
  • Prepare your document package
    Once an approval task is created, click Prepare Documents for Approval and follow the step-by-step instructions to prepare your documents.
  • Send for Approval
    After you set up the document package, send it for final approval directly through Karbon.

There are many benefits to using Approvals in Karbon:

• Centralized source of truth: Send, track, and monitor documents in one platform.
  • Efficiency: Reduce the time spent on cross-checking multiple apps for status updates.
  • Visibility: Auto-generated audit trail that tracks every activity that has occurred in a document approval request. 
  • Integrated workflow: Seamlessly integrate documents into your project workflow.

This feature is currently in beta and it’s a precursor to Karbon’s eSignature feature that will be released in Q3 this year. If you’d like to join the beta program, register your interest here.

Faster AI summarization of client timeline (beta)

In April, Karbon AI added the ability to generate a summary of the latest 10 emails and notes on client timelines to help you and your team get up-to-speed on client activity.

Improvements have been made to speed up the AI summarization and stream the answers in a similar way to tools like ChatGPT. Instead of waiting for an entire summary to be generated and posted, you’ll see the summarized text displaying in real-time.

This feature is currently in beta. You can request access to join the beta program here.

Preview: A new Triage experience is coming soon

Soon, you’ll have two design options in Triage—list and split.

The list layout displays your Triage items in a compact view and can help you quickly scan down the list. The split layout offers a three-column view similar to Outlook and provides more information at a glance. 

You will easily be able to toggle between the two layouts and choose what’s most comfortable for you.

The new Triage design doesn’t change any existing functionality. It’s strictly a user experience upgrade to make Triage more flexible for you.

This feature is still in beta but will be released soon. If you want early access to the beta program, sign up here.

Void recurring invoices on an ended engagement

When you end a recurring engagement that has already generated approved invoices, you can now void these invoices to keep your approved invoice queue organized.

To void a series of approved invoices from a recurring engagement, go to the Invoices tab under Billing, filter by client name, and then void each invoice by its chronological order.

Please note that this process only applies to an ended recurring engagement.

Work items for approved recurring engagements are not created automatically in advance

Previously, when you set up a recurring engagement with repeat work items, all the work items were auto-created upon the approval of the recurring engagement, regardless of the work item’s original repeat settings.

This work creation schedule can create clutter and cause confusion for your planning. Improvements have been made to rectify this.

Now when you add repeat work to a recurring engagement, the work items won’t auto-create until the designated repeat settings’ work creation schedule dictates so, or if needed by invoicing.

New Billing APIs 

Karbon’s Billing APIs have been extended to make it easier to develop your own billing integration. You can:

• Record manual payments: Log payments made outside of Karbon, for example, record a check or cash payment.
  • Track invoice status changes: Stay updated on invoice statuses with the Invoice Webhook subscription.

Learn more in the June 2024 API release notes

Previous releases

If you missed an update, you can still see a list of what we released in Karbon. For API releases, see the Karbon Developer Center.

Thank You! Thank You!  I have been waiting for the Print Client Request summary feature.  This is a huge time-saving feature.  We love the Product Development Team!😍

Why would you want to export to PDF? Seems a step backward in teaching clients to be good clients.

Why would you want to export to PDF? Seems a step backward in teaching clients to be good clients.

Hi @sixfoldmole. This feature is to replace the need to screenshot all client communication for working papers. Now with one button you can either save a PDF or print the PDF.  

Ok but when do we get the ability to sort Work by Time-In-Status?

Hi Kevin. Can you tell me a little bit more? We do have a column in the work list called ‘In Status’ that shows how long a work item has been in a particular status. 

Hi Kevin. Can you tell me a little bit more? We do have a column in the work list called ‘In Status’ that shows how long a work item has been in a particular status. 

That’s in List View, not Kanban.  I’d like to be able to sort my columns (or even just manually rearrange them!) as that’s the view my team uses and it would be easy to know what the highest priority is

Do I have this feature or do I need to sign up for it… 

Love it - but wondering about audit trail as pdf like adobe afterwards….

Do I have this feature or do I need to sign up for it… 

Love it - but wondering about audit trail as pdf like adobe afterwards….

Hi Pauline. You should have this now. There is no audit trail at the moment but the PDF itself does say when you generated the export and the status of the work at that time. 

Can my whole team have it please. 

Looks great. Can I join the Approvals Beta please. 

Looks great. Can I join the Approvals Beta please. 

Hi Heather, you can sign up for Approvals beta here 😊

Any chance we could print to PDF our checklist for when we need to work offline due to power outages, remote places etc?

This is a game changer! Thanks 

Any chance we could print to PDF our checklist for when we need to work offline due to power outages, remote places etc?

Hi Helen. We didn’t include tasks in the PDF as the main use case was to be able to get a record of client communication. 

Will the approvals feature have the ability for clients to comment on them like with client requests? 

By extension will we be able to modify the document out for approval based on client feedback, or will we need to close the rejected approval and then open a new one with the new changes? 

Will the approvals feature be available to clients for them to approve documents or is it only for internal teams? @Amelia Freeman 

Hi @karadarien - the Approvals feature is designs for firms to send documents to clients for approval - so exactly as you’ve described. If you haven’t watched it - the video in the top post provides a run through.
Let me know if I’ve misunderstood your question.

Will the approvals feature have the ability for clients to comment on them like with client requests? 

By extension will we be able to modify the document out for approval based on client feedback, or will we need to close the rejected approval and then open a new one with the new changes? 

Hi @Tristan Hefley - it’s not something we’d planned - when speaking to customers during our design phase we heard that the approval is more or a less a formality, as clients have often seen and reviewed the document to be approved.
We don’t cater for the scenario where the document needs to be changed - feedback early on indicate that it was VERY important the document couldn’t be change during the process. If you need to modify the document you can create a new approval task.

I’d love to hear more about how comments would be useful to you.

@StuartK Thats what we understood from the video.
But, we currently only see the ability to send approvals internally.
Not externally.
Will that feature be in a future release, then?

@StuartK Thats what we understood from the video.
But, we currently only see the ability to send approvals internally.

I’ll send you an email to get more info - other beta users are having no trouble sending approvals to clients.

Thanks @StuartK! Much appreciated as we’re stoked for this update!
Looking out for the email

Is there a way to delete the Conversations Summary from the contact timeline?  And/or be able to summarize it again at a later date to get updated bullets?

Is there a way to delete the Conversations Summary from the contact timeline?  And/or be able to summarize it again at a later date to get updated bullets?

@Stephanie Hilson when new emails or comments are added to the last ten conversations then the summary will be marked as “outdated” and you will be able to resummarise. We don’t offer the ability to delete a summary yet.