OneDrive added to document management, and much more!

Related products: File Management

OneDrive added to document management

Document management now integrates with Microsoft OneDrive as well as Dropbox Business. This gives you more flexibility to connect your account to Karbon and manage client work files from a single source of truth. 

Register for one of our upcoming global webinars, where we’ll demonstrate how to:

• Connect your own DMS

• Automate your file organization and backups straight from Karbon

• Copy work data from Karbon, including email, notes, and client tasks, to keep everything in sync with your DMS

Session 1: Wednesday July 20, 9.00am PDT | 12.00pm EDT

Session 2: Wednesday July 20, 11.30am AEST

Session 3: Wednesday July 20, 4.00pm GMT

And if you’re not a Karbon customer yet, register below to find out how document management can work for your firm. Start a free 14-day trial and put it to the test.

Session 1: Friday July 22, 9.00 am PDT 

Session 2: Friday July 22, 12.00pm AEST

Enhancements to My Week

Starting the timer on a piece of work from within My Week will automatically move it into 'Working on Now' to make it easier for your team to see what you're working on, so they can plan effectively. 

We have also increased pagination to 100 items, so you can see more information on your screen at one time.

Updates based on feedback directly from Karbon Community

We’ve added additional functionality from feedback received by our customers via Karbon Community, specifically to contacts, work, and Time & Budgets that will make the smallest things just that much easier.

Contacts

• UK customers can now choose Unincorporated Charity and Housing Association as entity types in Organisations > Details > Accounting Details

• When creating a new contact, we’ve added a field for ‘client identifier’ for those accounting firms requiring that rigor. To enable this, simply speak to your Customer Success Manager or our Support team (support@karbonhq.com). Once the field is enabled in Settings, every time a new contact is created, the field will need to be populated before the contact can be saved. 

• Phone numbers on contacts are now clickable directly from the contact card, saving you an extra click to access the information you need.

Work

• When exporting data, ‘work type’ was previously only available in the ‘All work in this view’ option in the export menu. Thanks to customer feedback, it’s available in the ‘Repeating work schedules’ option too.

• You were already able to ‘copy a conversation link’ in email and tasks, but now we have taken it one step further and added that functionality to notes.

• You’ll notice that the task overflow action menu has been reordered in-line with how our customers work, with the goal to improve workflow.

Time & Budget

• The character limit for time entry notes has increased from 300 to 600. Plus, a snippet of your note will now display, rather than the entire entry, saving space on your screen. To read the rest of the snippet, you can click the ellipsis (...).

• Karbon now remembers the previous task type selected in the time entry modal and timer regardless of where you are in Karbon.

• The work item ID is now a downloadable field and has been added to timesheets. When you export the data, the column will be identified as ‘Work ID’. 

Coming next week: Calendar

My Week’s two-way calendar integration with Google, Outlook, or Exchange calendars

My Week just got more powerful. Stay focused and plan your today, tomorrow and beyond with oversight into your work with a calendar integration right in Karbon.

Recent API enhancements

Work item: Type and Status

New search filters for work type and status allow you to focus on exactly the data you want to see in large sets of work items by retrieving matches to your criteria, so there is no need to re-filter.

Improved search

Previously, search included only exact matches, but now it’s faster to search in contacts: Start typing three letters and Karbon will return a list of partial matches for full name, email address or phone number, making it easier to find the information in a hurry.

For other API releases see the Karbon Developer Center

To the comments! What are you most excited for here? And don’t say Calendar because there’s plenty of time to talk about that next week ;)

Is there an ETA on Google Drive document management?

@evanrnhall “Starting the timer on a piece of work from within My Week will automatically move it into 'Working on Now' to make it easier for your team to see what you're working on, so they can plan effectively. “ 

Will it be removed from working on now when the timer is stopped? I can see this getting very cluttered if not. 

If you are not utilizing the timer for a particular item/task, will there be a feature to quickly move it to working on now from the calendar like you are able to start the timer? Would be helpful to be able to do that.

I’m excited about the clickable phone number.  And I know you said not Calendar, BUT CALENDAR!!😍

@evanrnhall “Starting the timer on a piece of work from within My Week will automatically move it into 'Working on Now' to make it easier for your team to see what you're working on, so they can plan effectively. “ 

Will it be removed from working on now when the timer is stopped? I can see this getting very cluttered if not. 

If you are not utilizing the timer for a particular item/task, will there be a feature to quickly move it to working on now from the calendar like you are able to start the timer? Would be helpful to be able to do that.

@Terri Warren It sounds like we will need to remove it manually from the Working on Now section. 

@evanrnhall Maybe Karbon should add a feature to customize this. Everyone should be able to choose if they want to keep it under the Working on Now section, or it should be removed automatically once we stop the timer.  

Our team appreciates this one:

I wish we could copy a client task list link in order to have a copy of questions and answers for workpapers

I wish we could copy a client task list link in order to have a copy of questions and answers for workpapers

I believe there is a feature request for being able to print notes, tasks, etc to PDF for workpaper purposes. I'll try to find it in the Features Request section and link it to you. If I remember correctly it was Gathering Interest last I checked 

Just linked to you @Becca Williams 

Thanks @Terri Warren !

For the first question, short answer is “no” (at least not for a while). The complexity would be if someone’s work required multiple timer entries before they are “done” (if for example they had to record time against multiple task types). As you get usage anecdotes from your team, please share!

Calendar idea would defiantly be a ways off if we did it. Getting the core functionality right first. IDea is cool though (assuming it moved there at actual start of calendar block and not just via adding to cal). Good feature request once calendar live!

Is there an ETA on Google Drive document management?

@Becca Williams We are targeting Google Drive for Q4 2022. 

I posted this on another thread but don’t think I saw a response:

The OneDrive/SharePoint integration looks great thus far for attaching files to emails. However, our biggest pain point is saving files received FROM clients via email. Do you anticipate the integration will address that eventually or will we still have to click into the attachment then save as from the native app (i.e. Adobe for PDFs)?

Is calendar update this week? Been waiting for the whole week, not talking about it the whole week.

Is calendar update this week? Been waiting for the whole week, not talking about it the whole week.

Hi Mike - sorry about that - we needed to push it back a week, but tentatively should be there Monday. 

I posted this on another thread but don’t think I saw a response:

The OneDrive/SharePoint integration looks great thus far for attaching files to emails. However, our biggest pain point is saving files received FROM clients via email. Do you anticipate the integration will address that eventually or will we still have to click into the attachment then save as from the native app (i.e. Adobe for PDFs)?

Hi @amlbmo sorry for delayed response. Not much we can comment on at this time. The use case you described makes a lot of sense, but is not on the immediate roadmap. The functionality is now on the list of what is being considered along with a lot of other great ideas - if it turns out to be an easy development it may just suddenly appear in one of our releases. If it’s more complex and gets green-lit you’ll likely hear it mentioned in one of our future roadmap webinars. 

I am noticing that items such as the one drive integration and the new client portal are not available in the Intuit Practice Management version of Karbon.  I had asked before but I repeating the question, what is the timeline for the rollout of new features for IPM.  In a related question, is there a way to indicate in the product updates section Karbon vs IPM so we can plan accordingly?

@Ken Rogers Hi Ken, Leigh from the Karbon support team.  Often when we have product releases in Karbon, we partner with the Intuit team to have a staggered release approach to ensure that the new, great features are stable and delivering for the Karbon customers prior to releasing for IPM.  We can work with the Inuit team in regards to product updates and the customer visibility.  Thank you very much for your feedback, it will help us deliver both in functionality and communication.

Leigh

@Ken Rogers Hi Ken,

Thanks for chiming in on the Karbon community page! My colleague Evan Hall reached out to me to help answer your questions above. I help oversee our relationship with Intuit globally but specifically work very closely with the US team who manage our sister product IPM.

There are four major product releases coming to both Karbon and IPM. As you mentioned, Karbon has rolled out our new DMS solution for Dropbox and OneDrive/Sharepoint. In agreement with Intuit, we are using Karbon customers to rollout each of the new feature releases first in order to troubleshoot any issues that may arise from customer feedback. Then in turn within 1 to 3 weeks typically (barring there are no major technically issues needing attention that could delay things) we will be turning on those features within IPM. In the case with DMS, one of the benefits of staggering the rollouts is that our product team is releasing a heavily requested feature enhancement (“auto folder creation for repeating work”) in this next sprint release and in turn IPM will benefit by having this feature available upon initial launch. IPM is scheduled to have DMS go live with the next sprint release in early August. So very shortly.

In the same release, the new My Week Calendar integration with Google and Outlook will go live.

Two weeks after that, the new Client Portal with magic link to clients (eliminating the current 4 digit pin) will be turned.

Finally, for the Billing and Invoicing solution, this will be done in two major phases due to the complexity of the project. The current schedule is to launch our beta test on 8/1 with several Karbon customers as well as currently two IPM customers for the Phase 1 project. It is anticipated that this beta could take a full month or more to achieve its goal. So at this point, I can not provide a target date until we learn more from the test.

FYI, I have been working with the Intuit marketing team, everything mentioned above except the billing and invoicing project should have been or will be announced shortly to all IPM customers so please be on the lookout.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Very best!

Jay Ridgeway
Head of Channel Partnerships

Jay - I truly appreciate the quick and complete feedback!

Hi Mike - sorry about that - we needed to push it back a week, but tentatively should be there Monday. 

HI Evan, wondering if this will be live this week?  Thanks.

HI Evan, wondering if this will be live this week?  Thanks.

Hi Mike - no, not this week I’m afraid. It was deemed a little more QA was prudent. As you can see, this is why we don’t usually publish release dates! This kind of “almost ready” status is actually quite common, you’re just not normally privy to it since most releases aren’t pre-announced like Calendar was. Thanks for your continued patience and excitement! 

Understood. Can you open up the beta for me? I actually enrolled ourselves, bit didn't get get it yet 

Understood. Can you open up the beta for me? I actually enrolled ourselves, bit didn't get get it yet 

Hi Mike - your Success Manger will reach out to you on Monday to check in on whether the beta is available this late in the game. 

Is there a two way sync between OneDrive and Karbon (ie. if a file is added into OneDrive will it show in Karbon?)

@Ashliegh Evelyn Hi Ashliegh!  Welcome!  I will forward your question on to our Kabon support team, we will reach out to assist with your question, additional resources and details for you.

Will be reaching out soon!

Leigh

Is there any update on Google Drive integration?