Skip to main content

Smart Suggestions with Karbon AI (beta)

Triage emails and work faster with Karbon AI’s latest Smart Suggestions feature.

With Smart Suggestions, you’ll automatically see a list of the most relevant and active work items and contacts displayed when adding emails to work and contact timelines.

AD_4nXetUPjQMLqFenDZhb9yVXBiyAnra5rCPgpDEzcz624yiAzBSvjXSTyC_Q0iTu5vDRGnJkggtNc0WRgSO-BM2Z4AgtF5VcRfMx4iiUcKuLvgA8q6v-fKnASXdWC_eNbf5Wvfx1g6yNfvc-NsbxKFhHfbfEo?key=r8yKtdcza18_rw78zoGpLA

From there, simply select the relevant work or contact timeline so you can spend less time searching and more time getting work done.

This feature is currently in beta and you can register to test it here.

The new Triage experience is live for all customers

The Triage redesign was introduced at the beginning of July. Today, every Karbon customer will be switched to the new Triage experience and the legacy Triage design is no longer available.

Learn more about how the new design benefits your email workflow. You can also contact support@karbonhq.com if you need assistance.

New fields added for contacts in Jersey, the UK, and France

Several new fields have been added to the accounting details area of your People and Organization contacts.

If you have clients in Jersey, you can now select Jersey from the country dropdown list. 

For the UK, you’ll see more entity types, including a charity number field. 

For France, a searchable Code NAF field and several new entity fields are also added to make your client database more manageable.

Karbon API Updates

The Contacts and Organization listing endpoints can be now filtered by ContactType and you’re now able to provide a key to sign Webhook payloads to verify they’ve originated from Karbon.

You can read more about these API releases in the Karbon Developer Center.

Previous releases

If you missed an update, you can still see a list of what we released in Karbon. For API releases, see the Karbon Developer Center.

@Rachel Peng I’m looking forward to trying Smart Suggestions to help me through my sorting of daily emails!

Love signed webhooks. 😁

So - I don’t find the smart suggestions to actually populate very often and we really miss the ‘last used’ dropdowns that used to appear when adding to Work or Contact.  Since its still in beta perhaps this will change?

I agree with @Dana Maxwell that I especially miss the “last used” dropdown, and also don’t see the smart suggestions very often.

I agree with @Dana Maxwell, the smart suggestions are not populating that often and not very accurate at the moment.

We also really miss the most recent work item which used to always be the top suggestion.

Hope this can be brought back quickly please? :)

I agree with @Dana Maxwell!  The most recent work item was very helpful and definitely saved keystrokes!

@Jana @donnaCitrone @Steve Wortman @Dana Maxwell 

Smart suggestions pulls in suggestions of work and contacts based upon the email in the business card of the contact. May i ask how you have this set up so we can pinpoint why this is not showing for you?

e.g. If i have a contact with a business card for an organisation with the same email address as the one the email is from, then it will show the contact for that org and any work associated with that org. If it is coming from a different email then we don’t show it as we assume this is a different relationship and shouldn’t be confusing the two. 

@Simon Hilton I think Smart Suggestions work as intended unless you receive emails not specific to an email associated with a contact.  I would love to see the most recent work item returned, as it was beneficial, especially when cleaning up emails in triage that are not associated with a specific work item.

@Simon Hilton We do have contact cards set up for all our clients however smart suggestions is not always showing correct suggestions, I will keep an eye on it over the course of the next few days and see if I am able to give you some examples.

Is there a timeframe for bringing back the most recent work item and adding that above the smart suggestions please? it is a real shame that we have lost that ability :)

@Simon Hilton I agree with @donnaCitrone and @Jana.  Also - there is a lag when the Smart Suggestions are populating - I am sure that is normal but I think what we all really miss is the most recents drop down being available.  For instance - I have a client who has grocery stores - everyday I get emailed store reports from those grocery stores - they don’t always come from the same sender but I need to add them to the same ‘master contact’ timeline.  Having the dropdown for recents saved alot of time each day for adding these since I have to add them to a timeline and then forward them to a colleague (who is not a Karbon user).  As for Smart Suggestions - I may receive an email from a bank contact regarding a specific client for a specific request but that same bank contact may be the contact for several other clients - so if I set them up as a contact then they are forever associated with that one client contact and perhaps I need them associated with multiple client contacts.  Again - I think the big ask is to have recents populate again.

@Simon Hilton This seems to be improving for me, there is a bit of a delay in the suggestions pulling in, so maybe I am just getting used to that and also I now realise that the suggestions only populate according to the email address that the email has come from, so emails from other sources/systems can not have any suggestions. 

Could we have a response regarding whether you are looking at adding back in the most recent dropdown please? as everyone seems to be really missing that. :)

If it’s only picking up when it’s come from a contact that is associated to an organisation, what is the AI actually doing?

Surely the idea is that AI will take the context of the email and work this out. Oh it has client.com in the email, that must be Client Limited and I see PAYE wa mentioned so maybe this is payroll or month end related…

@Simon Hilton / @Rachel Peng 

can we get feedback on this? A few are asking for recently used to be showing and to my point, if it’s using the contact card what is AI actually doing? Feels it’s just associating it to an email.

I was asked to comment on how we thought recently used should be combined with smart suggestions, I responded as follows:

I and the many other people who have responded have all said that the smart suggestions is now working quite well and is useful, however what we really miss is the fact that with that we have now lost recent suggestions and we would like that incorporated in the smart suggestions dropdown if this is at all possible, so rather than either or, we are requesting if it is possible to have both?  At the moment you have given with one hand and taken away with the other, which is not really a progression.

I am hoping it may be possible for the developers to work on this as an improvement?

In your opinion, How do you think that Smart suggestions and recent suggestions could work together in the same view?

What our team has suggested is that the top 3 could be the most recent work items and the bottom 3 the Smart suggestions, so giving us the best of both options.  

Thanks for listening to our feedback, do let me know if this may be possible.

I think the best way to get things changed in Karbon is by putting in feature ideas and then posting about them so other people go vote for them. I know this is feedback on the new change, but I think adding a feature idea is still a really good idea on top of feedback.

If you put in a feature idea, comment the link here so others can vote for it. 😀

@Luke Streeter At the moment, the Smart Suggestion feature operates in a more rule-based manner, which is why it might seem like it's just associating the contact card with an email. But by launching this functionality, we're able to gather insights on how you and other users search for contact and work, which will help us improve the suggestions using AI.