Blog

Karbon AI

Related products: AI

Karbon AI, a GPT-powered artificial intelligence tool embedded within Karbon, is now in beta. Karbon AI is designed to make you more efficient with email and how you communicate with clients. 

Karbon is already saving each individual user an average of 16.5 hours every week, but this is just the beginning. Karbon AI will provide new ways for you to be more productive across client management, reporting and insights, work management, capacity planning, team collaboration, email, and more.

Here are some examples of what you’ll be able to do:

• Summarize long email conversations and internal discussions. Rather than spending time getting up to speed through a long email chain, a bite-sized summary can show you what’s important and actionable before you choose to dig deeper.

• Compose an email draft. Karbon AI can create the first draft of an email based on some short prompts or keywords. You can then review and adjust before sending.

• Provide personalized updates to your clients as their job progresses. Set a task within your Karbon work item to automatically draft an email reflecting your progress and any other prompts you provide.

• Prioritize your inbox. Karbon AI assesses urgency, sentiment, and tone to show you which emails need your attention first.

• Improve your writing. Improve outgoing client emails by making them more conversational, direct, apologetic or neutral. With one click you can adjust the tone to suit the situation.

Because Karbon AI is embedded into the Karbon practice management platform, there is no switching back and forth between apps. You also maintain security and privacy over your data, because Karbon AI is powered by Microsoft Azure OpenAI Service.

Based heavily on feedback and input from customers, Karbon AI will continue to be developed with capabilities that expand across your collaborative workflow in Karbon.

Currently, Karbon AI is in a beta release, but will soon be available to all customers. Karbon customers can register their interest for early access to the beta program here.

I absolutely need this as I spend a significant amount of time in Comments and Emails constructing them and editing for content and tone.

I am looking forward to this technology in Karbon!

Sounds good 🙂

Signed up right away. 

A team member just asked if the AI integration will assist with improving the suggested work that comes up in the list when we're tagging an email to work items.  We have lots and the one we're looking for is often not at the top.

Sign me up!! I’ve been using ChatGPT for a whole bunch of content creation and it’s working really, really well.  Looking forward to the integration.

A team member just asked if the AI integration will assist with improving the suggested work that comes up in the list when we're tagging an email to work items.  We have lots and the one we're looking for is often not at the top.

From the looks of it, I don’t think so. Suggest trying out different search methods to get the list of results down 🙂

From the looks of it, I don’t think so. Suggest trying out different search methods to get the list of results down 🙂

Watched the road map.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m very excited for this stuff.  Still, it feels like this should be in there though… why when I click on the add to timeline, are the initial suggested items not a mix of both recently tagged items and items connected to the client in the email thread?  However, I’ll leave that rhetorical question there.  🙂

why when I click on the add to timeline, are the initial suggested items not a mix of both recently tagged items and items connected to the client in the email thread?  However, I’ll leave that rhetorical question there.  🙂

I believe the Suggestions are recently accessed Work items and recently tagged Work items 🙂 relevance to the thread however, not a factor at present

This is a great start. Would be great to ask questions about items in Triage and Work. Examples are:

• Who sends me the most emails on average in a week?
  • Which client has the most overdue work items?
  • Show me all overdue corporate tax work items.

Am I pipe dreaming? :)

Looking forward to the release of AI in Karbon

This is a great start. Would be great to ask questions about items in Triage and Work. Examples are:

1 is available in Email Insights and KPI. 2 is available in Insights already. 3 is available in Insights already (if it is a Work type) 🙂

Is this functionality included in the core package or is it a purchasable addon?

HI @Daniel McGuren This is what I saw on the Karbon page :

Does it support languages other than English??

This is an intriguing idea.  I spend way too much time agonizing over just the right wording in an email for specific clients.  The idea that it can change tones and suggest what to say may well be a game changer for me.

Way to go @Sara Goepel and the Karbon team!  Can’t wait to roll this out to my crew.

@Sara Goepel I’m so gitty for all of this!! 😎

Quick q’s

• Karbon AI: How will the Karbon AI affect current client tasks that are automated? It won’t change the verbiage created already nor delay sending, correct?
  • Shared Triage:
    • I’m nervous about current status of user access and the new feature. We have many admins because they have to have admin access for template building access. How will this be solved in Karbon? I don’t want all my admins to have ability to create these shared triages or have access to ones created by others or give full admin access to those I need to be able to manage these. 
    • Signatures for the shared triage: We do not create or import signatures in Karbon. When we send emails, our signatures are pulled from our 0365 directory that pulls from our HRIS. We don’t allow team members to change or import their signature as they are standardized from those systems. If they do, it will duplicate signatures on the email. How could this potentially affect this shared triage signature process?
  • Work item instances tab: Is this exportable or actionable in bulk? (please say yes 🙏🏻)
  • Email templates:
    • How will this work with templates? I assume if we put this in place, we will need to update all of our client request templates and current work. 
    • Same admin access concern for shared triage signatures. Not all managers need access to admin and not all admin need to be the one to create a standard templates. 

Thank you for your hard work!

1 is available in Email Insights and KPI. 2 is available in Insights already. 3 is available in Insights already (if it is a Work type) 🙂

Thanks very much Sam for the reply. 

On #1, yes, that is in email insights but isn’t that an additional per user fee?

#2 and #3, yes, the answers are available in different views; I should’ve clarified that one of the key benefits of a ChatGPT / conversational AI capability is to access whatever information you need at your fingertips. This alleviates the need to click through to different views for each question you’re trying to answer. It also creates possibilities around querying data with variation combinations / permutations without having to apply various filters. Examples:

• Which client sends us the most emails and has the most overdue work items?
  • Summarize the frequency of use of client tasks by client and accountant.

Thanks very much Sam for the reply. 

On #1, yes, that is in email insights but isn’t that an additional per user fee?

#2 and #3, yes, the answers are available in different views; I should’ve clarified that one of the key benefits of a ChatGPT / conversational AI capability is to access whatever information you need at your fingertips. This alleviates the need to click through to different views for each question you’re trying to answer. It also creates possibilities around querying data with variation combinations / permutations without having to apply various filters. Examples:

• Which client sends us the most emails and has the most overdue work items?
  • Summarize the frequency of use of client tasks by client and accountant.

Yep, both Email Insights and KPI are additional fees 🙂 Karbon AI will also be an additional fee

Yes, I understand the desire to have things readily available and variable. Karbon AI at this stage is not asking questions, but given that information is already available in the places I mentioned (which your initial question didn’t suggest you realised that), I would say that when Karbon AI does become something you can ask questions of, it would definitely be able to give you those answers (not a pipe dream 😉)