Blog

External name on work items and work template

Related products: Work Work Templates Client Portal

An external name field has been added in the details tab for work items including repeat schedules. It also appears on work templates so you can set it up once. If populated, this external name field will replace the work item name wherever it is mentioned on client request emails and in the client portal. This gives you the flexibility to have an internal name that your firm recognizes and an external name that is more appropriate for your client. 

Set up is simple. For instructions on how to do so, visit this support article.

Nice one 🙂

@Amelia Freeman this is a great start!

Is this field coming to the repeat settings tab too? We heavily use dynamic dates when naming repeating work, and if my testing and understanding is correct, all work in a repeating series would have the same name. For regular work (e.g. weekly or monthly) this would get confusing really quickly!

@Amelia Freeman this is a great start!

Is this field coming to the repeat settings tab too? We heavily use dynamic dates when naming repeating work, and if my testing and understanding is correct, all work in a repeating series would have the same name. For regular work (e.g. weekly or monthly) this would get confusing really quickly!

Hi Rebecca. For now it will just remain in the details page but we will look to expand it in the future.  For now, could you add ‘weekly’ or ‘monthly’ to the external name? 

@Amelia Freeman that’s what I was thinking, but it’s not unusual for clients to be behind and have checklists open for multiple work items in the same series 🤣

Hi everyone! I’m digging out from tax season. Karbon saved my a$$ by keeping me organized with my growing practice - I can’t imagine working without it now. Thank you for making this feature - it’s like you can read my mind. I was trying to keep my descriptions “mutual” where both the firm and client can understand what is being asked - this is a good feature addition!

Great pickup and feature, team! Thanks for helping us with one of our larger debates when creating Work Items and Templates over the past 8 months!

I ❤ THIS new edition to the client tasks! Way to go Karbon. I can’t wait to see how this change can be implemented into the repeating work settings.

When can we create invoices based on time entry from X to Y date? 

When can we create invoices based on time entry from X to Y date? 

Hi @Trey Fulmer, you can do that now, but it’s quite manual:

• Filter by work type = Time & Materials and Client Time & Expenses
  • Create a draft for your client
  • On the data tab, carry any time that site outside of your time range (select individual time entry rows and click “carry”)

Presumably you want this to be easier like so (we don’t have a date for this yet):

• filtering unbilled by date range
  • create draft
  • time outside of that range will be automatically carried on the draft (so you have visibility of it and can choose to include it if desired)

@Dave George 

WHY: 

=>50% of firms use T&M billing. Karbon seems to have missed this very large metric in building out billing. Without a process to bulk mark things as “billed”, how are we supposed to use Karbon Billing when we have thousands upon thousands of time entries from previous periods that have already been billed? 

The adoption of Billing would be much easier if you at least considered how people would adopt this - they would obviously adopt it firm wide and all previous work and time entries would/should be marked as billed. 

If I select “Carry”, it just pushes it to another month I have to deal with. 

@Trey Fulmer ah, got it. Yes, eternally carrying would be a pain.

We have a plan for managing time entries in bulk to mark them as billed elsewhere, could we talk through that with you to see if it fits your needs? If you’re open to a chat I’ll email you my calendar link.

@Dave George yes that would be great