Changes to Client Portal are coming

Related products: Client Communication

We are introducing changes to Karbon’s Client Portal to help you be more efficient with your clients. The information below was sent via email to all account owners last month. 

Karbon’s existing Client Portal, previously known as Client Tasks, has undergone an upgrade. In light of the new functionality, there are some changes to existing processes that you need to be aware of. These changes are coming in early August, so please get your practice and staff ready by giving them advanced warning.

Here are a few things, we think are important to note:

Changes

1. The heading in tasks will be renamed from ‘client task’ to ‘client request’ to better align with terminology across the platform

2. The PIN will be replaced by a magic link (a one-time use link). The magic link is secure, as it can't be accessed by anyone other than the users it’s sent to. But more importantly, it reduces friction and allows users immediate access to action their items in a list view. 

3. Changes to Settings — Your logo placement will move from Company Details (now renamed Account Settings) and will be under Client Portal tab (previously Client Tasks), where you can also pre-set auto-sending options.

4. A dedicated link to your Client Portal which can be added to your website and/or outgoing emails and is a great way to promote the feature and save you administration time. It allows your clients to quickly access their information. The URL will be in the Client Portal tab.

5. Coming soon - you’ll be able to send the client request to multiple Karbon contacts.

What’s new for your clients?

1. Your client will receive a magic link rather than the PIN, as outlined above.

2. A log-in section, which provides your clients with greater flexibility to view everything including open and completed requests (history), as well as documents that have been uploaded. Clients can comment and ask questions. Please note this is for business plan and above only.

What will happen when the new Client Portal is live?

1. Existing client tasks already sent prior to us making the new functionality live, can only be accessed by your client through the PIN in the email

2. If you resend a client task, it will be accessed via the magic link if your client accesses it from the email

3. If a client task is set up to auto-send in the future, it will be accessed via the magic link if your client accesses it from the email

4. Any new client task that is sent will be accessed via the magic link if your client accesses it from the email

5. If your client logs in, they will see up to 100 open requests and the last 100 closed requests. 

To make it easier for you to communicate these changes with your clients, we have included some suggested wording and a how to guide, that you can adapt to your branding.

The FAQs can help you respond to the needs of your clients more quickly, but, if you have more unanswered questions, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager. 

We’re excited about the new functionality! 😁

Great news!  Will you let us know go-live date?

I can’t wait to see how this works for our clients. I am hoping some of our more technology-challenged clients find this easier.  I am waiting for the ability to send a task to multiple emails.  That will be a game changer.

To be honest, we have always been reluctant to use client tasks, but these changes make it much more accessible for our clients. Looking forward to trying these out again!

I love that the client requests still go out with a magic link and the client can get in and deal with the request without needing to log in… but also have the ability to login for more features. I love the thought that’s gone into it.

Now if only y’all could upgrade the username/password to include better security and more convenience by putting passkey on the roadmap. 😉

Hi Jaime. You will receive an email when we go live. 

I can’t wait to see how this works for our clients. I am hoping some of our more technology-challenged clients find this easier.  I am waiting for the ability to send a task to multiple emails.  That will be a game changer.

The ability to send a group of requests to multiple people is coming very soon! 

So coming soon we can send a request to multiple client emails. If I remember correctly there will be another feature where you can view all Client Tasks across all clients in one place? Kind of like a To-Do for Client Tasks?

So coming soon we can send a request to multiple client emails. If I remember correctly there will be another feature where you can view all Client Tasks across all clients in one place? Kind of like a To-Do for Client Tasks?

Hi Alex. 

Yes soon you will be able to send a request to multiple client emails. We do have another feature in design that will allow you to view all requests in one place but this is not yet in development. 

how does the client get their dedicated username and password to login to the client portal? do we send this manually? 

how does the client get their dedicated username and password to login to the client portal? do we send this manually? 

We will provide you with a url to share or they can access the log in screen from the magic link. From this screen, they will be able to create an account. 

Hi @Amelia Freeman - who will be receiving the email - is that the Karbon account owner again? Can we assume there will also be the usual release pop-up inside Karbon?

Super super excited for this release!!! 🎉🎊

Hi @Amelia Freeman - who will be receiving the email - is that the Karbon account owner again? Can we assume there will also be the usual release pop-up inside Karbon?

Super super excited for this release!!! 🎉🎊

It will be the account owner and there will also be the pop-up inside Karbon and a post in Community 

Hi! Will we be told of the go-live date in advance?

Hi,

Do we know what day this week the new Portal is going live? Will it be today?

Hi,

Do we know what day this week the new Portal is going live? Will it be today?

I didn’t see it in today’s release notes.

The client portal is a great addition. I’d love to see an increased focus on features which exist to improve our clients lives & their experience of working with us through Karbon. Adding a document space on the client portal where we can upload their finalised VAT, tax, accounts & engagement docs would be amazing and a huge value add. 

Can we please get an update on being able to send client tasks to both taxpayer + spouse? This is a MAJOR complaint from our client base. Thank you!

Hi @Jenna Coffinger. This will be coming in the future. I don’t have a timeline right now but it is on the radar. 

I was going to create a separate idea for this but I saw the word “Documents” on the left sidebar in the portal shown in the roadmap video from about 10 months ago and then I read this thread.  @Amelia Freeman will the portal eventually include a way for clients to upload documents that haven’t been requested, such as an IRS letter, or allow us to upload documents that the client hasn’t yet requested, like their completed tax return that they can then retrieve at a later date.  Both of those things occur in my practice now within Liscio and if the Liscio and Karbon integrations do not become more robust I may have to abandon Liscio but then I lose the portal features I just describe, texting features, and digital signatures with KBA.

I was going to create a separate idea for this but I saw the word “Documents” on the left sidebar in the portal shown in the roadmap video from about 10 months ago and then I read this thread.  @Amelia Freeman will the portal eventually include a way for clients to upload documents that haven’t been requested, such as an IRS letter, or allow us to upload documents that the client hasn’t yet requested, like their completed tax return that they can then retrieve at a later date.  Both of those things occur in my practice now within Liscio and if the Liscio and Karbon integrations do not become more robust I may have to abandon Liscio but then I lose the portal features I just describe, texting features, and digital signatures with KBA.

Hi there. This is not on the current roadmap but will be considered in the future. Thank you for that additional information. 

Hi @Amelia Freeman on Aug 3 you said coming very soon

But then on Oct 28 the language changed to coming in the future / on the radar

Hi @Jenna Coffinger. This will be coming in the future. I don’t have a timeline right now but it is on the radar. 

Is it no longer coming soon? It was quite a big promise that was heavily suggested was almost here, now it doesn’t sound so close…

Thank you

Hi @Amelia Freeman on Aug 3 you said coming very soon

But then on Oct 28 the language changed to coming in the future / on the radar

Hi @Jenna Coffinger. This will be coming in the future. I don’t have a timeline right now but it is on the radar. 

Is it no longer coming soon? It was quite a big promise that was heavily suggested was almost here, now it doesn’t sound so close…

Thank you

Hi @SamG 

Thank you for reaching out and I can understand the confusion. Earlier in the year I did say this feature was coming soon because it was in development. But since then, some priorities have shifted based on other features we need to build, as well as changes to our team. While I unfortunately don’t have a timeline for when sending requests to multiple people will be released, it is still a feature we know you and our customers need and it is still very much in our plans. I am truly sorry for the disappointment and the confusing messaging, and we'll let you know when we have more details on this.

This was posted 5 months ago & I know there are several threads requesting the same function.  Any updates on when this will go live???

I could be wrong, but I think all the developers are working on getting billing and payments shipped by end of February. I don’t expect any movement on other features until after that time.