Internal comments on Client Tasks, and more!

Originally from July 4, 2021 

Two highly-requested updates have been released to Karbon: internal comments on Client Tasks, and the ability to add a note to multiple timelines. 

Internal comments on Client Tasks

Client Tasks are an easy way to collaborate, communicate and share documents with your clients. Now, you can have internal discussions with team members against these tasks too. And critically, clearly distinguish between what your client can see, and what they cannot.

A new option can be found at the top of every new Client Task comment. Toggle between Internal to leave a comment just for your team's eyes, and External to share with your client.

To make it absolutely clear what can be seen by your client, external comments will always appear in pink. While internal comments appear in the blue that you're familiar with on all other comments throughout Karbon.

Add a note to multiple timelines

You can now add an internal note against more than one work timeline. Simply choose the Add To Work option from the note's options menu or information tray, and search and choose for any additional work items.

Other updates

• Exports of timesheet data now include a column for ClientID

Are you more likely to use internal comments on Client Tasks for documentation or to collaborate with colleagues? Perhaps a third option? Share and discuss in the comments!

I don’t know if anyone else is using this, but this has been HUGE!! Thanks.

What I would LOVE even more would be to be able to assign client tasks to an internal staff member. I use a pretty robust follow-up system of assigning emails and tasks to myself, adjusting the due date, and then leaving notes for every interaction.

As good as Karbon is at chasing clients for documents, we still like to make phone calls to request documents if we don’t get them right away. The blue comments in client tasks make it so that this would be possible with the specific client task… if I could assign it to myself.

It is great to be able to make internal-only comments on client tasks. However, it appears that this functionality does not exist in the mobile app. Is there a plan to incorporate this functionality in the app also?

I haven’t heard any news about updates to the mobile app, but I have used Karbon through a mobile web browser and it scales very nicely.

I don’t know if that helps, lol. :)

We use this feature all the time.  It is super useful when you need to tag another team member to address a client comment.  You can use an internal comment, receive feedback and then answer the client in an external comment.  We have used this when delivering the tax returns.  I, as an Admin, will deliver, but I am not qualified to respond to complicated tax questions.  This allows me to tag one of our Tax Professionals.  They can answer the question or they can give me an explanation and I can respond to the client.

We also love the ability to tag items to multiple timelines or work items.  This is very usefully for our larger clients with multiple businesses or family members.

Does this feature allow an export of the internal notes such as a status update into another source document such as a google sheet, or other report?

Hi @Crystal Francis, that’s a great question.

Notes and comments do not export.

There are several conversations about how firms are handling this:

Check them out to see if this helps at all.