Document management in Karbon

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Connect your Document Management System (DMS) to Karbon and manage client work files from a single source of truth. Today, we’re kicking off with Dropbox (OneDrive and more coming soon).

The Karbon interface. It's a work item called 'Client Onboarding' and the 'Documents' tab is selected. In this tab, a list of Dropbox files are displayed to demonstrate the Karbon integration with Dropbox.

With document management in Karbon, you can:

• Seamlessly integrate with your DMS

• Automate file organization and backups

• Save your files where you need them

• Collaborate on files

Learn more about document management in Karbon.

Introductory webinars

Register for an introductory webinar specifically for Karbon customers. 

We’ll use Dropbox as an example and demonstrate how to:

• Connect your own DMS

• Automate your file organization and backups straight from Karbon

• Copy work data from Karbon, including email, notes, and client tasks, to keep everything in sync with your DMS

Session 1Tuesday May 24, 8.30am PDT | Tuesday May 24, 4.30pm GMT

Session 2Thursday May 26, 4.30pm PDT | Friday May 27, 9.30am AEST

(note: both sessions will cover the same material)

49 replies

If Karbon is charging for this feature based on the number of connections, how can a firm effectively manage this? If every user is allowed to initiate a DMS connection for as many work items as they desire, I don’t an efficient way to maintain management control. Maybe I’m missing something. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That’s a good question, Bill.

I’m curious how other firms will handle this. From our perspective, the DMS connection will be a default part of our workflow, so we are not trying to manage its use in that we want our staff to use it sometimes and not other times. The pricing is minimal compared to the overall cost of Karbon, from our perspective, so if it adds value, we want our staff to use it.

There has been some research that says staff spend as much as 20% of their day searching for documents. In our firm, I would agree with the estimate, so we have been looking for ways to get our documents accessible within 1 click. 1-click access to the correct files could really speed up our teams productivity, which is why we are excited about this feature.

I would really like it be a global setting where certain work types automatically get folder setup in our DMS, and client-submitted documents automatically get filed to those folders.

Does that make sense?

@max I agree on both major points: (1) pricing is minimal relative to base Karbon subscriptions and (2) doc searching is costly. Hopefully, Karbon will expose tier management via the UI so that we can upgrade/downgrade without support, have visibility into numbers of connections, and are notified when we’re nearing a tier cap. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just wondering what happens when a client provides a document with the same name in different locations?  That is, multiple copies of a document with the same name?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Good Afternoon,

Will we be able to connect multiple DMS? For example, we have a few customers on ShareFile (larger individual file sizes) and most on OneDrive. Hoping the feature is not limited to one DMS only. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Good Afternoon,

Will we be able to connect multiple DMS? For example, we have a few customers on ShareFile (larger individual file sizes) and most on OneDrive. Hoping the feature is not limited to one DMS only. 

I’m not sure. That’s a good question for @Aaron Kwan, I believe. 😀

My initial thought is that you would connect one DMS. There will be multiple options, but you will only use one. We’ll find out, though. 😀

EDIT: It looks like you can only connect one DMS at a time:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks Max. Hopefully it becomes an option in a later iteration.

Holding out for OneDrive right now. Looking forward to the increased automation it will bring to the work and lessen some of our manual procedures of moving everything.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@LD7E @max Thanks for the feedback. For now, you can only connect to one DMS at a time. As we add more DMS integration, we will definitely consider enabling multiple DMS connections.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Melissa Gock Sorry about the delay. If a customer uploads a document with the same name to 2 different work items (eg. via client tasks), then they will live as 2 separate documents against the respective work items.

We currently use DocIt for doc storage as we have concerns with security and lack of functionality around dropbox.  Just putting it out there for consideration.  Thanks 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The OneDrive/SharePoint integration looks great thus far for attaching files to emails.

However, our biggest pain point is saving files received FROM others via email. Does the integration address that, or do you still have to click into the attachment in the email then use “save as” from the native app (i.e. Adobe for PDFs)?

@Aaron Kwan - thoughts?

Just wondering if there is a rough date for Google Drive roll out yet? 

I know we were told that the OneDrive connection would be released in June, but does anyone possibly know when? We were hoping to have the time to fiddle with it etc. and figure out how it works within our company before the craziness of the new financial year. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Samantha, the OneDrive integration is currently in beta and being tested by a few Karbon customers to make sure it’s ready for general release. I don’t know when it will be ready for general release. I think there were a few issues that still needed to get resolved.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I am wondering if the connection to onedrive will be live as scheduled before the end of June? Cannot wait for that:)

Userlevel 2
Badge

@amlbmo The current supported flow is to:

1. Link the email to an work item timeline
  2. Go to the work item to copy attachments into OneDrive/Sharepoint destination

Does that fulfil your need? Or would you want to move files into the DMS directly on the email in triage?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Oh, thanks. Why I am not be in the beta test? I definitely applied for that

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@amlbmo The current supported flow is to:

1. Link the email to an work item timeline
  2. Go to the work item to copy attachments into OneDrive/Sharepoint destination

Does that fulfil your need? Or would you want to move files into the DMS directly on the email in triage?

@Aaron Kwan I see that now. Brilliant design of flow and ability to automatically copy to a folder (haven’t tried it but understand conceptually how that could save us a LOT of time/reduce manual work). 

The only issue is that, although most are, not all emails are tagged to a work item. Therefore, in addition to the flow you’ve described, if you can enable movement of files into the DMS directly via the email, that would be great.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi, for following plan, I am wondering if the number of work item connection include the completed work? Since that include complete work, the total number of connection will accumulate and increase more and more.  We just need a price of certainty.  Thanks.

• 200 work item connections: $40/month paid annually or $50/month paid monthly

• 1,000 work item connections: $80/month paid annually or $100/month

• 5,000 work item connections: $160/month paid annually or $200/month

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

See Aaron’s official answer here:

@MikeLiang @max 

Completed work will not count toward the usage. 

For repeating work (which we are building right now), Karbon will connect the folder when task and budget is scheduled to be created for the new work. You can manage the schedule within the repeating settings.

I will check with team on how we can improve the “Learn More” help article. In the meantime, let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Mike,

My understanding is that only “In Progress” status work items count towards the limit. Planned and completed work items do not count.

I’m not sure about Waiting and Ready to Start… @evanrnhall, do you know where we can get this information? I don’t think it’s clear on the “Learn More” page.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thank you Max. What you explained make senses and make the money pressure a bit relieved:) . 

Let’s see the official policy on this, 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@max   I am just trying onedrive, I noted that the onedrive file in karbon cannot be open? when I click the name of the file, nothing happened. Not sure it is my issue or it is current stage of the feature.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@MikeLiang @max 

Completed work will not count toward the usage. 

For repeating work (which we are building right now), Karbon will connect the folder when task and budget is scheduled to be created for the new work. You can manage the schedule within the repeating settings.

I will check with team on how we can improve the “Learn More” help article. In the meantime, let me know if you have any further questions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@Aaron Kwan  Thanks for the answer. Can you advice my question above? Why the document in onedrive tab in karbon is not openable?

Mike