I'm planning ahead to avoid burnout and reduce stress

• 6 August 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 2

When accountants are busy, they are really busy. I’m sure you know the feeling of being overworked, overwhelmed and nearing burnout during tax season or other busy periods. If you’re like most customers that I speak to, you love what you do, are passionate about helping your clients, and want to help grow their businesses. But, wouldn’t it be easier to serve your clients if you weren’t constantly running on exhaust fumes?

One of the simplest ways to stay on top of your own wellbeing during your busiest periods is to practice what I like to call, micro self-care—small activities you can weave into your daily routine that help to break up the day. 

And if you’re lucky enough to be in a slightly more manageable period of work, now is the perfect time to develop a plan and start practicing this micro self-care.

Because we all know that additional stressors will pop up at the worst times. And creating a plan now will allow you to have something you can control.

So what kind of self-care do I practice to help manage my stress during busy times?

I find that getting up and taking a walk with my dogs is what helps me focus. So, I take an hour each day for no meetings or interruptions. It gives me time to take my dogs for a walk,  do something else that is purely for me, and it stops me from eating lunch at my desk when the rest of my days are back-to-back meetings. I even block out my calendar for “eat/walk dogs'' to make sure this always happens!

Blocking off an hour in  the middle of the day may not be realistic for you. Some other micro self-care options include:

• Listening to 10 minutes of your favorite podcast or music between tasks

• Practicing gratitude

• Changing your scenery by moving to another space to work for the next hour or two

• Meditation

• 2-mins of standing, breathing, walking around the house, or anything away from your desk even for a moment

The point is to find what works for you, and make sure it happens. Because ​​engaging in these micro breaks is scientifically proven to boost your engagement and productivity, reduce stress and the chance of burnout and increase your output. And ultimately, that’s going to benefit everyone.

I would love to hear what self-care practices you use.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!