Question

Google Drive Integration

Userlevel 3

Dear Karbon,

When are you planning to roll our Google Drive support for DMS (document management system)? Our while eco system operates in Google. Incidentally, our Karbon account piggybacks on our Google logins and gmail.   Any updates on ETA for this vital integration? We are hobbling around this until we can integrate fully.  Much appreciated for a response so we can project how to handle files until you resolve. 

16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are also desperate for movement on this integration ! PLEASE prioritize this, it just cannot be that hard

Userlevel 2

I agree… this was talked about over a year ago and I notice their are other options… one drive and drop box….PLEASE PLEASE  can we have google drive too? 

Would like to know too … I have finally ditched Dropbox as we are a Google firm and keen to connect Google Drive

Userlevel 2

This was talked about over a year ago and I notice there are other options… onedrive and dropbox….PLEASE PLEASE  can we have google drive too!!!!! Is there any light on this one? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi everyone, thanks for the questions.

When we first launched document management and DMS integrations, we surveyed customers to understand the most-used solutions. OneDrive and DropBox were the two that comfortably came out on top, which is why we invested in those two integrations first. But we knew there were other solutions used by other customers, one of which was Google Drive, and at the time we planned to build it quite soon—and communicated that with you all. 

Unfortunately, these plans have changed in recent months as we considered other conflicting priorities. Prioritizing our roadmap is challenging and we try to invest our resources in building the features that will have the biggest impact on the largest number of customers. And as part of that, plans do sometimes get adjusted. 

We’ve let you down here by not being transparent and failing to communicate this change of plans to you. For that we are very sorry, and this is an area that we are determined to improve on. 

While the Google Drive integration is no longer on our immediate roadmap, it is still very much something that we know we need to build and we will let you know as soon as planning progresses on this. Like always, you can increase the chances of us building this by voting for this in our feature request area if you haven’t already.

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your acknowledgement that you we have been let down and although the words on a post are helpful, it is disappointing to learn that something that helped make our decision to move to Karbonn is no longer ‘on the road map’.

Thanks for owning up…. I don’t feel any better, in the file management space what are you offering me? 

Can we at least export to sheets? That would at least be a step in the right direction… I’m a google user….Excel export doesn’t help me much! 

Sorry… on this one thumbs down Karbon. 

Please don’t respond in a defensive manner, other features (like summarize) are great & I love them but in this space what can you offer me? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you for your reply Pauline. I understand your frustration and we will ensure we are more transparent about changes in the future. I acknowledge that our document management offering is less beneficial for Google users like yourself. Please know that your feedback has been heard and will be factored into any future planning decisions.

Userlevel 3

Thank you Amelia. Not the answer we wanted, but the communication from you is important. Please keep us updated.

Does anyone else in the community have thoughts on where they plan to go from here? We were planning to go all Google Drive in my office. We’d consider another DMS, but fear integration with other software.

We’re presently using Lacerte for tax prep.  We plan to switch to ProConnect but have no experience with DMS integration, esignatures, client uploads etc. I’ve “heard” Google works well with ProConnect but don’t have first hand experience. Anyone using Dropbox?

Any thoughts here? I’m stuck in no man’s land on DMS solutions. We were hoping Karbon and Google DMS support would be the bridge. 

@Amelia Freeman please can you signpost in this thread where we can upvote the google drive integration? There are appears to be a number of posts regarding this feature and i want to ensure that we can upvote the relevant feature suggestion to ensure this gets addressed in a timely manner rather than being spread across multiple threads. There appears to be other feature requests with less traction that have been considered and even pushed to development and i strongly feel the product team has gotten the importance of this one wrong. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Andrew Horbury. From what I can tell, there is currently no GoogleDrive integration feature idea. I’d encourage you, or anyone else who is interested, to create a feature idea and vote for it. 

Hi all - i’ve now created a feature idea in relation to this and link below. I’d strongly encourage everyone in this thread (and any colleagues) to upvote the idea in the hope of bumping up the priority for the product team. It currently appears we would need >50 votes for this to get traction. 

@ Andrew thanks for creating the feature idea.

It’s odd that Dropbox and Onedrive came out on top in customer surveys. In my experience many firms use Gsuite over MS these days and GDrive is just part of the package. 

I wonder if there’s some cost or complexity holding back this integration. It would seem a fairly standard core feature for any PM software and can’t be that difficult to integrate. Trello and others have it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@ Andrew thanks for creating the feature idea.

It’s odd that Dropbox and Onedrive came out on top in customer surveys. In my experience many firms use Gsuite over MS these days and GDrive is just part of the package. 

I wonder if there’s some cost or complexity holding back this integration. It would seem a fairly standard core feature for any PM software and can’t be that difficult to integrate. Trello and others have it.

I completely agree with this, especially considering that Sara’s explanation as to why Google Drive didn’t make the immediate cut back in 2022 was that Google wasn’t playing nice.  I don’t know many firms who use OneDrive or Dropbox over Google Workspace.  Perhaps non-US firms more?  @Amelia Freeman Help me understand why this has been completely dropped from the roadmap, that’s pretty frustrating to hear. I get the limited resources bit, however that’s a pretty important aspect for our workflows and would upgrade Karbon into unbeatable status!  I can’t be the only one who thinks that?!?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @drich208

The change to our roadmap was simply a case of resourcing and balancing between new features that we know will have the largest positive impact on the most customers. We know that a lot of you use GDrive—when we last surveyed our customers on this it was just over a quarter who use GDrive for document management. When we weighed this up against other planned features and functionality that will benefit most, if not all customers, we unfortunately haven't been able to fit this into the short term. Like all feature requests though, we're constantly monitoring interest and do hear your need for this. Building this integration is a matter of when, not if.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Amelia Freeman  Thank you taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it.  While I don’t love the response itself as much 😉, I do understand the need to allocate resources to the projects that seem to have the greatest impact to as many customers as possible.  I only hope there will be enough interest soon.   It’s remarkable however, that Karbon is working so hard to listen to their customer base!  That cannot be understated, it matters more than anything.

Please please please… I can’t go and change everything from Gdrive when it works well for my firm in all respects, other than not linking in with Karbon.