Skip to main content

Hello Karbon Community,

We’re still currently in the process of ensuring all employees fully transition to Karbon, with most of our team already using it. However, not everyone is utilizing the platform to its full potential. To address this, my boss and I have decided to implement a monthly priority or aspect of Karbon that we want everyone to focus on and fully adopt. For example, by July 31, everyone was required to use Triage for sending emails, with Outlook being retained only for searching, printing/saving to PDF, and creating calendar events.

As I plan our next four monthly targets, I’m looking for ideas and suggestions on what other aspects of Karbon we should prioritize. What are some areas your firm needed improvement in, or what features of Karbon have you found particularly beneficial to focus on? Any insights or examples would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your input. 

@naomi_paulson this is a great initiative, and glad that management are on board! Here’s some suggestions:

• Work Views
    • Maybe have some standard company ones that get reviewed regularly, like if you have a weekly check in, and have the team save a copy so they can look at it at any time
    • Encourage everyone to set up their own custom ones they check at the start or end of each day
    • If you have teams or departments, there might also be some common ones
  • My Week
    • ​​​​​​​You could set standards such as “To Plan” should be at 0 by the end of each week or “This Week” should be below ~50 or something
    • Encourage adding notes/emails to My Week rather than keeping in Triage
    • Encourage everyone to review My Week at either the start or end of each day - move the (next) day’s priorities (emails, notes, work) into Working on Now, so that when they start they know what to focus on
  • Karbon “hygiene”
    • ​​​​​​​Set and document some company norms around keeping Karbon “clean” and consistent e.g.
      • Naming conventions
      • Dates (start, due, deadline)
      • Repeat settings
    • Review overdue work to look for possible gaps in Karbon usage/setup e.g.
      • Are your due dates realistic?
      • Are there clients who are often unresponsive so their due dates could be pushed going forward to minimize work showing overdue when it’s actually “stuck”
      •  Is work done but tasks just not being ticked off?
    • Are statuses being used correctly or does work go from “Ready to Start” to “Complete”?
      • This is also tied into whether people are ticking off tasks and/or if automators are working as expected
  • Client Requests
    • Encourage the use of client request lists rather than emails to request documents, especially for the regular recurring documents/info you need
    • If a client has received a task and responds with an email reply, empower the team to redirect them back to the client task - perhaps with a standard reply reminding/asking the client to use the checklist and maybe a video showing how to use the Karbon portal/checklists
    • This will help with organizing information/documents!
  • Internal work
    • You could have each person create their own (possibly private) contact they can use to create work items for non-client work that still needs doing or create notes directly in My Week for personal/admin/internal tasks that aren’t tied to a timeline.
    • Could have some of the early adopters demonstrate how they’re using or complementing Karbon to manage and track non-client work