Question

Write-off of time

• 27 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Might seem like a dumb question, but traditionally using other WIP management/timesheet systems, when time is allocated to a client or work, and then billed, the remainder is written off or carried forward. We’ve then reported on unbilled WIP periodically to account for any time that could be billed that hasn’t been.

My question is, given Billing hasn’t rolled out in Karbon:

1. Is there even a need to write-off WIP at all?
  2. How does one report on unbilled WIP? 
  3. How do you keep track of ad hoc time not associated with work?

7 replies

Hi @Imbi Finlayson - I will have this looked into by our Team. I will contact you via Support to further review these questions.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It sounds like you are using Karbon for time tracking. Unfortunately, in its current version there's not a way that I know of to mark time as billed.

I believe this is part of the Billing feature roll out though

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

For #3, when we have ad hoc (or out of scope) requests, we create a specific work item for that request and aggregate time and effort on that work item until completion. Then upon completion, the time & budget tab will have great visibility into the WIP of that request

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We are not using it currently but are looking at starting to use it. I just want to be prepared with some sort of procedure for tracking what time has been billed in lieu of the Billing feature not having been rolled out yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The visibility into unbilled WIP globally across the firm would be a tremendous feature of the Billing roll out.

It's good to know which projects have the most unbilled WIP when triaging what to complete next

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Visibility is fine. My issue is knowing what time is billed so we make sure not to miss anything. I was thinking of building into each work template an invoice task that needs checking off to ensure things don’t get missed, but there might be a better option? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We use the Fee settings on the Time & Budget tab to put in the amount that has been billed for a piece of work.  If we have invoiced for $1,500, we add that to this tab.  Then we can see at a glance what has been invoiced, how much time we allotted to the work, and how much time was actually spent on the work.

Here you can see we have invoiced for $1,829.17.  The budget was for 2 hours of work, but we spent 5 hours and 19 minutes on the work.  We can then determine if the extra time is billable or not and send another invoice if it is.  You can then go into the Fee Settings and update the amount to reflect the additional payment.