Skip to main content
Question

Work template

• 26 July 2024
  • 8 replies

I want to create tasks from a template, where I need to remove a work item each time I create work.

I'm finding it very inefficient to keep clicking on 3 buttons and deleting the tasks which are not part of the work

Is there a work around this where i can just select the task I need from the template while creating a work item

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nikhar Mathur can you create a different template that just doesn’t have those tasks?

It also looks like this question posted twice -

Thanks @Rebecca Williams 

I’m making a service library with all possible tasks we do for our client. The idea is that whenever a new client comes we just swipe the template and pick only the task relevant to the client.

For ex for Bookkeeping work i have listed it like below

Sampel template

Do let me know if there’s better way to do this

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nikhar Mathur that all looks like placeholders for information, rather than tasks to be completed. If you go into the Details tab for any client, and then scroll down to Accounting, you’ll see there’s actually fields for a lot of this information already! You can also enter as plain text in the Description field for each contact.

See this article in the Karbon knowledge base - https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/5708609-overview-of-contacts#h_2d91ae0afc

The templates are for work which needs to be completed, with specific action items that someone needs to complete and tick off as they go. and are assigned to specific people with due dates. For example, you might have a bookkeeping template that looks something like

• Gather documents
  • Process bank transactions
  • Send questions to client
  • Reconcile accounts
  • Review financial statements
  • Send statements to client

And then you’d use this to create all the bookkeeping work for your clients. In most cases, the high-level process you follow would be the same for all clients, but there would be some client-specific nuances that might change (for example, the documents you gather and where you get them would be different for each client, but you still need to gather documents for all clients).

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

One way to make templates a little more flexible is to add lists of tasks to the description. These can be copied and pasted into the work item, and they automatically split into individual tasks.

Thanks Max, I was planning to use Notion along with Karbon where I can copy task from notion to karbon. 

Still finding ways to make it efficient to create work choosing tasks from list of task

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We have done a lot of work (and have more work yet to do) to standardize our work. Now that much of it is pretty standard, we have many templates for the kinds of work that we do. So, instead of picking the tasks that we want, we just pick the appropriate set of templates that we want to use.

Thanks Max, looks interesting, can you share few examples of templates being used 

We are trying to create an exhaustive list so that we do not miss anything while creating a task

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We serve a narrow niche (Small and medium construction companies), so our templates are tailored to the kinds of work we do for them. When we run up against something new, we stop and record a Loom or Scribe for it. I wouldn’t suggest trying to make an exhaustive list. It will immediately become obsolete. Instead, we have found that general instructions are more valuable and then specific instructions are created when needed and only if needed. It’s a little slower, but more accurate and precisely what we need to complete our work.