Solved

Work Creation - Bulk Change Create Work

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Is it possible to perform a bulk change to the Create Work field in repeating work items? For example, I have 400+ work items that will be triggered into creation on 10/15 as the create work is currently set to 6 months before work start date. I would like to bulk change this to 3 Months before work start date (ideally 4 or 5, however not a choice available).

Or is this something that could only be done on the back-end by Karbon support?

t/y

icon

Best answer by max 6 October 2022, 20:46

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @LD7E 

A bulk change like that would need to be done on the back end by Karbon.  

I noticed that our default for Work Creation is 3 months.  You may also want to have that set as your default going forward if that works for you.  We’ve been with Karbon awhile now so I’m not sure how or when we set that default.  I did a scan through setting and do not see where, as a user, we can adjust that.

V

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Victoria Peters 

I knew it would most likely be a back-end thing, hoping someone else had a magical answer to make it possible in house. Be even better if we could put an actual date into the field for the work to be generated on. The limit to what we can use in that field is not ideal. After 4 years with Karbon we have played around with the defaults a lot, unfortunately some choices are just too limiting to be effective.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@LD7E being able to specify the defaults and/or the specific date work creates in advance would be a useful feature request. If you make this, link it here so we can vote!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Victoria Peters

I knew it would most likely be a back-end thing, hoping someone else had a magical answer to make it possible in house. Be even better if we could put an actual date into the field for the work to be generated on. The limit to what we can use in that field is not ideal. After 4 years with Karbon we have played around with the defaults a lot, unfortunately some choices are just too limiting to be effective.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

We create most of our seasonal work with the API and some python magic. I don’t know if you are up for that kind of challenge. If so, I’d be happy to show you how it works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@max 

I was hoping you had something Max 🙂. I would love to see how this works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

We use the Karbon team for bulk changes like this, but are toying with switching to API like @max !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We use the Karbon team for bulk changes like this, but are toying with switching to API like @max !!

@LD7E would you mind if I opened up our call to anyone who was interested so they can see how I use the API to bulk create my work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@max Do not mind at all. Looking forward to the meeting tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Here’s the invite information. Anyone is welcome to join. 😀 

Max is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Bulk work creation with Karbon API
Time: Oct 14, 2022 03:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89060530003

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Well darn.  I was going to say “I would love to see this ” and then I noticed the meeting was one hour ago.😅 I guess maybe next time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Bummer! I’m planning to put together a community post showing how to get started, what software I use, and links to the python scripts I use to add the bulk work. 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@max Great work today, totally appreciate the time you spent on this. Thank you very much!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Does the Karbon team reposed quickly to getting the bulks Excel sheet to you and then uploaded to Karbon.  I am with IPM and they are sooooooo slow.