Solved

When I reassign recurring work to another person, their tasks need to be reassigned separately

• 27 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi everyone, I’ve come across this a few times now and wondered if anyone has a better solution. 

When a recurring work is being reassigned to another person (from the Repeats Settings), the tasks in the repeating work still remain with the previous account manager, how can I make sure it gets updated on both places without having to open all work and scroll down through the tasks and reassign?

icon

Best answer by Terri Warren 27 July 2022, 15:50

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@AntoniyaB. I’m so glad you raised this question because I’ve run into the same issue.

I know that in the Kanban work view when you drag/drop the work item to a new Assignee, Karbon prompts you to also reassign the tasks and budgeted time. However, this doesn’t update the Assignee in the repeat schedule. The next work item that is created from the repeat schedule will default to the Assignee in the schedule.

Currently my work around is to reassign the repeating work from the Repeat Settings and then go to the details tab of the work item and reassign the tasks by clicking Edit/Change Assignee in the Work Team section. That at least allows me to reassign all the tasks at one time. 

Would love to know if there is an easier way!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@AntoniyaB. I’m so glad you raised this question because I’ve run into the same issue.

I know that in the Kanban work view when you drag/drop the work item to a new Assignee, Karbon prompts you to also reassign the tasks and budgeted time. However, this doesn’t update the Assignee in the repeat schedule. The next work item that is created from the repeat schedule will default to the Assignee in the schedule.

Currently my work around is to reassign the repeating work from the Repeat Settings and then go to the details tab of the work item and reassign the tasks by clicking Edit/Change Assignee in the Work Team section. That at least allows me to reassign all the tasks at one time. 

Would love to know if there is an easier way!

Thank you - likewise, hopefully if there is no easier way at the moment, there would be a solution soon. I will put forward a feature request (unless someone else from the community has an answer to this)

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

These are the instructions I provide our team to ensure the work is completely reassigned in tasks, the recurring schedule and ensuring former team members that need to be removed are completely removed.

-------------------------

When repeating work is being reassigned to another team member, follow these instructions to ensure all work is officially reassigned not just in tasks, and already created work, but also in the repeating cycle going forward.

**Exception to this process is off-boarding team members. If all work for that team member is going to one person, that can be done by the offboarding team all at once.

Things you must do in this order:

1. On existing work, reassign the any tasks within the work that has populated.
    • Review for quality control purposes, due dates, etc.
  2. Locate repeating schedule settings located at the top of the work item:
    • In repeat settings, on the "work tab", review to be sure any tasks that have been created in each piece of work has been reassigned.
  3. Once all tasks have been reassigned, go to the "Repeat settings tab"
    • Select edit, change the "assignee" to the new assignee
    • For quality control, check the repeating schedule for accuracy. 
    • For quality control, check the title, including the "placeholders" for accuracy.
    • For quality control, check the “Work Creation” section. Best practice is not to create tasks too soon as to help capture changes along the way in the work.
    • For quality control, check the "Resource Planning", in the "Plan for week" box select the option that best suits the work. (This adds the work to My Week in the proper week for planning purposes instead of the “to plan” section.)
    • Click "update" at the bottom.
  4. IMPORTANT: Completely removing former assignees. Once the above is saved, navigate back to the "Work" tab in the repeat settings.
    • Right click to open in a new tab, each piece of work stated on the Work tab.
    • Locate the "Work Team", remove the former assignee of the work. Make sure, here, nothing is assigned to this person.
    • This step helps to reduce noise in the former assignees Triage.
  5. Review existing work to ensure all work/tasks that has been created, has been reassigned.

More info here on repeating schedules.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Terri Warren Thanks for sharing these instructions. We have something similar but your list has several additional checks that would be great to incorporate as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

To add to this conversation - when reassigning a recurring work to another team member, I have to click on each repeating work item separately and then get back to the list, it won’t allow me to open all work items in new tabs - has anyone else encountered this issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

To add to this conversation - when reassigning a recurring work to another team member, I have to click on each repeating work item separately and then get back to the list, it won’t allow me to open all work items in new tabs - has anyone else encountered this issue?

Agreed @AntoniyaB. This is a bit annoying not to be able to do that from the repeating schedule list.

Work around: Duplicate the tab and pick the one you need to adjust. You then have to refresh the original tab to see the changes.

To clarify, you are needing to open each work item to reassign each of the tasks that have been created in the schedule. If you are just having to reassign the work, it can be done on the repeat settings tab for all work. I’m sure you knew that, just clarifying.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ll be frank…. this is a ridiculous amount of work to do to switch out Ted for Barbara, especially if you have to go task by task through hundreds of Work items when Ted leaves employ and the tasks do not all go to one particular person. 

There has *got* to be a better way to reassign/move team members into and out of Work items when there are staff changes, and I would love if @Karbon Trainer has a suggestion without requiring that all Work items be shut down and reassigned en masse via a table which then resets the templates, thereby losing any edits for particular Work items. I’m not sure why editing the Work team does not serve this function, but it is ineffective.

Things you must do in this order:

1. On existing work, reassign the any tasks within the work that has populated.
    • Review for quality control purposes, due dates, etc.
  2. Locate repeating schedule settings located at the top of the work item:
    • In repeat settings, on the "work tab", review to be sure any tasks that have been created in each piece of work has been reassigned.
  3. Once all tasks have been reassigned, go to the "Repeat settings tab"
    • Select edit, change the "assignee" to the new assignee
    • For quality control, check the repeating schedule for accuracy. 
    • For quality control, check the title, including the "placeholders" for accuracy.
    • For quality control, check the “Work Creation” section. Best practice is not to create tasks too soon as to help capture changes along the way in the work.
    • For quality control, check the "Resource Planning", in the "Plan for week" box select the option that best suits the work. (This adds the work to My Week in the proper week for planning purposes instead of the “to plan” section.)
    • Click "update" at the bottom.
  4. IMPORTANT: Completely removing former assignees. Once the above is saved, navigate back to the "Work" tab in the repeat settings.
    • Right click to open in a new tab, each piece of work stated on the Work tab.
    • Locate the "Work Team", remove the former assignee of the work. Make sure, here, nothing is assigned to this person.
    • This step helps to reduce noise in the former assignees Triage.
  5. Review existing work to ensure all work/tasks that has been created, has been reassigned.
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Cate I agree - and I raised a feature request that I think would help with this about 15 mins before coming across your reply!

Here’s another related (but different) feature request I made awhile back!