Solved

Updating all created Karbon Work by updating template

• 23 November 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

If I create a template, then use it 30 or so times and have all of them as recurring work, but then realize that I want to update the template, can I do that without deleting everything and completely remaking all of the work?

icon

Best answer by kylenecarse 23 November 2021, 03:26

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Edit: Screenshots and further details about bulk updates

Hi Ezra!

You can reset the work to the template individually to pull in your updated changes.

The only way I know to update work items in bulk is to send a request to support and they can help. See Kylene’s comment here:

@Ezra Lortz this can be done, it just depends on the plan you have.  

https://karbonhq.com/services#individualServices

We have utilized both the Bulk Work Creations and Bulk Re-apply Templates and it’s a huge time saver and excellent way to do housekeeping in your work.  Definitely worth the price!

Does that help at all?

Screenshots:

To reset individual work items - From the task screen tap here
If the work is recurring, you’ll also get the option to reset the work to the previous work item.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay, maybe in a future update Karbon will come out with a way to bulk reset work to reflect a newly updated template.

Thanks for the help!

Ezra

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I would love that. :)

If you contact support, they can give you a file to pick which ones to update. Karbon will use the file to bulk update the work items on the back end. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@Ezra Lortz this can be done, it just depends on the plan you have.  

https://karbonhq.com/services#individualServices

We have utilized both the Bulk Work Creations and Bulk Re-apply Templates and it’s a huge time saver and excellent way to do housekeeping in your work.  Definitely worth the price!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks for clarifying, @kylenecarse! I edited my answer accordingly (and added screenshots). :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I would also love the ability to update the template and then mass update every work item created using that template (or at minimum be able to select multiple pieces of work via checkboxes or similar to then update those selected items). We don’t seem to do enough of this to justify the increased pricing plan that includes bulk updates (at least not yet) but some work items need to be refreshed to the template on a quarterly or yearly basis, and when critical template adjustments are made we have to manually reset 200+ pieces of work manually.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I agree that I would like the ability for any changes I make to a template to be automatically adapted to current and future work. Also, it’s quite inconvenient to have it update the budget section everytime I reset. It would be better if the budget and tasks could be reset separately, as most of my changes are to task list. At this stage, our only work around is to have part of our internal ‘Job In’ process to include resetting the work item to ensure it’s using the most up-to-date template, but again, not convenient to have to update the budget again.

We change the templates too often to make it worth our while for bulk upload service.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Agree with Imbi, we’re making edits every day to our templates.  Using the bulk upload service would become difficult to manage.  I’ve just posted similarly on this topic with a few suggestions to include version control and updating template by a section breakdown and checkbox system for all non-completed sections.

Userlevel 1

Process Street is a similar software we used, which easily pushes updates to existing templates at the basic plan level - AND without erasing existing notes or updates to the checklist.

I’m not sure why Karbon doesn’t offer that to all clients, as it seems like a pretty basic functionality to pay extra for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@ernesto, do you know anything about Process Street?