Solved

Unable to edit timesheet entries

• 20 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have been working on setting up Time & Budgets for our firm.  There seems to be a problem with the timesheet approval process.  When a colleague submits their timesheet for approval, I am not able to edit their timesheet entries.  The How To Instructions specifically say that you should be able to do that.  Here is a link to the article

https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/4441703-review-and-approve-timesheets-as-a-time-administrator

Has anyone else had this issue?

icon

Best answer by Joe Leppert 20 March 2022, 18:32

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Our timesheet approvers do not edit any member of our team’s timesheets. If the time entry is incorrect, we reject it and instruct the team member to correct the mistake. (Not the answer to your question, but just sharing how we operate)

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I was going to say we do the same as @Joe Leppert .

The reason for this is mindset, if we don’t train the team, then we will always end up doing that something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Our timesheet approvers do not edit any member of our team’s timesheets. If the time entry is incorrect, we reject it and instruct the team member to correct the mistake. (Not the answer to your question, but just sharing how we operate)

I was going to say we do the same as @Joe Leppert .

The reason for this is mindset, if we don’t train the team, then we will always end up doing that something.

We do the same as above for the reasons mentioned above. I wasn’t aware that the ability to adjust another person’s time was part of the how-to. I skimmed over what you sent and didn’t see that as a feature. Can you copy/paste the section that talks about it? I’m curious.

Another thing to keep in mind: Time and billing is basically in beta and can and will keep changing as it gets refined. A feature from yesterday doesn’t always make it in the next release.

Does that help at all?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We do the same as above for the reasons mentioned above. I wasn’t aware that the ability to adjust another person’s time was part of the how-to. I skimmed over what you sent and didn’t see that as a feature. Can you copy/paste the section that talks about it? I’m curious.

Here is a snippet:

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you all for your answers which make total sense.  I know that individuals can edit their own time but now the reviewer.  To me, the article implied that the reviewer could edit time.  

I do, however, get that it is better to not get in that habit but instead train the team to be responsible for their own time.  If they have to fix their own time, they will more likely do it right the first time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Here is a snippet:

I would agree with your understanding of the text. I’m going to test it on my end as I don’t receive any approved time sheets. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@MariaV it looks like Karbon updated that article 😅
We would also like the ability to edit (whilst also letting people know what to do for next time):

Current Process:
1. User Submits timesheet for Approval
2. Admin reviews timesheet and Declines
3. Explains what needs to change
4. User updates timesheet and resubmits for Approval
5. Admin reviews timesheet and Approves if correct

Better Process:
2. Admin reviews timesheet, updates, Approves
3. Mentions to Colleague what changed
4. User reviews comment/changes

Sometimes it’s easier to show than to explain! 🙂

This could be worth voting for:

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Better Process:

😓I don’t like this idea at all. Our firm has a bad habit of fixing things for people (the work must get done), but even the most well-intentioned neglect to circle back with feedback when pressure mounts.

We are working hard to go from your better process to your current process across the board with work, lol. We also found that it pays long-term dividends.

One thing we had to start doing to make it work, though, was get the staff member on a video call to show them the feedback before rejecting and asking them to resubmit. We have seen a decrease in the number and frequency of mistakes made.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Better Process:

😓I don’t like this idea at all. Our firm has a bad habit of fixing things for people (the work must get done), but even the most well-intentioned neglect to circle back with feedback when pressure mounts.

We are working hard to go from your better process to your current process across the board with work, lol. We also found that it pays long-term dividends.

One thing we had to start doing to make it work, though, was get the staff member on a video call to show them the feedback before rejecting and asking them to resubmit. We have seen a decrease in the number and frequency of mistakes made.

I disagree when it comes to timesheets. Not scalable at all. A lot of work for something that can be done far more efficiently and I believe would have the same effect. You’re literally saying that well-intentioned seniors do not have the time as it is to give feedback and you want them to give feedback in a way that will take longer. In that case, they may just accept it as is and move on. It can be the smallest of changes (Task Type or the Work it’s assigned to), having someone else do it (and then waiting for that to review it again and approve it 🥴 is not a good use of anyone’s time at all).
Work is an entirely different beast. We push changes back to staff, but take these into consideration:
- time cost of the change (senior vs junior)
- learning/training doing it would provide
- not if it’s “change this one word” on your workpaper