Time Entry & Capacity Management

• 4 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I'd like to expand the functionality and quality of our capacity management data.  One of the things that is a struggle right now is the ‘total capacity’ data in Karbon is fixed and hard to change. Most of our team is part time and hourly, with some fluctuation in total hours worked each week.  Not a huge deviation from week to week, but enough of a difference to warrant a change to the ‘total capacity’ data in Karbon each week. I would especially like to see time worked vs time paid on a specific day.  There are times when this could be very helpful when job-costing specific clients, projects, etc.

Here are my thoughts:

• Each week my data manager will have to export the colleague utilization report and edit the total capacity field with the data from our timetracker(in our case, Gusto)
  • Then from there, we can truly assess how much time was paid vs. time worked inside of a client work
  • We bill fixed/value-based fees only, so we’re only interested in realization rate, not necessarily the billable/utilization rate that most seem interested in.

Is anyone else doing something to track/manage their realization rate using the time data from Karbon?

Any help on pointing us in the right direction with this will be greatly appreciated!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @drich208,

We don’t track utilization, and all of our employees are full time, so I don’t have much to offer, but I’m curious how others are handling it. I think there might be a feature idea here where utilization is based on hours worked instead of a fixed number, which I think makes a lot of sense.

If you put in a feature idea, comment the link here and I will vote for it. 😀