Time & Billing errors for miscoding of the Contact

• 7 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Looking for the best practice here or maybe a feature request.  Sometimes people accidently create a work item (and/or charge time) to an individual, and not the organization.  Is there a way to block certain individual contacts to have any work items created (and time coded to).   

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hmm, that’s interesting. You’re saying to have certain contacts be set as “For communication only” and not allow work items while others (orgs) can have work added to them. This would eliminate the possibility of adding work to a person contact for the controller for a client instead of the client organization contact.

Am I getting that right?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@max - you got it!  It would still have the timeline tab, but restrict the work and time&budget tabs.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There’s no way that I know of to do that outside of some API magic where if work gets attached to a specific client type, a note would generate, or the work could even be moved somewhere, but that’s a heavy lift for something that’s probably better just monitored and addressed through culture and training at this point.

I would love to see better CRM-type functionality out of Karbon, and I think your suggestion goes along with that idea, so if you put in a feature idea, comment the link here and I will vote for it. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Eric Cohen,

Good idea 🙂 you can’t lock which contacts you can create work for, but you can:

• Prevent specific users (Colleagues) from Creating and Deleting Work (which may prevent the issue for some colleagues and some work items), please see below (Settings > Colleagues > Edit Permissions)
  • Prevent time being recorded on Contacts, please see below (Settings > Time & Budgets)

I hope that helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@SamG - Thanks Sam… and I agree that is an option, but typically we do want team members to create and delete work… just on the correct organizations! :)

Taking that ability away will cause more harm than good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@SamG - Thanks Sam… and I agree that is an option, but typically we do want team members to create and delete work… just on the correct organizations! :)

Taking that ability away will cause more harm than good.

A fine balancing act indeed! 🙂