Question

Tasks due BEFORE the work start date

• 6 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Has anyone been able to effectively use the #of day before work start date effectively when creating tasks?  We find that the task does not show up in the To do list or now My Week until the Work Order start date.  The task is overdue when the assignee actually gets notice of it.

Is it me?  What I am doing wrong?  It seems like a great feature, a reminder to get something set up so the work is ready to go on the start day.  A recent example is onboarding a new employee, there are some tasks to be completed by HR before the employees start date but the work order is set to be assigned to the receiving team on the start date, and it would be good for the receiving team to know that those tasks are complete.  Our work around has been separate work orders but we muddy visibility.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Victoria Peters !

Would it help if you actually built your work order to have a start date that is in sync with the date you know you officially are onboarding the new employee?  Then put your HR team tasks first and use automation to assign to them with task dues ahead of the new hire start date.  Then when they finish their task, the work would be assigned to your new hire, and then make any tasks for the new hire to be due X number of days after they start?

This would keep everything in one work order, and also give your new hire a work item assigned to them right out of the gate.

Does this make sense or help at all?  Let me know if this didn’t quite capture the flow you were looking for!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Victoria Peters !

Would it help if you actually built your work order to have a start date that is in sync with the date you know you officially are onboarding the new employee?  Then put your HR team tasks first and use automation to assign to them with task dues ahead of the new hire start date.  Then when they finish their task, the work would be assigned to your new hire, and then make any tasks for the new hire to be due X number of days after they start?

This would keep everything in one work order, and also give your new hire a work item assigned to them right out of the gate.

Does this make sense or help at all?  Let me know if this didn’t quite capture the flow you were looking for!

Interesting….

The trigger for automators is always days after - I wonder if the trigger was when the work had a Planned status we could trigger those tasks.  I will have to play with that.

The work order would show up as Planned in My Week showing the tasks that are due.

Thank you @kylenecarse, time to run some tests

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Victoria Peters !

Interesting….

The trigger for automators is always days after - I wonder if the trigger was when the work had a Planned status we could trigger those tasks.  I will have to play with that.

The work order would show up as Planned in My Week showing the tasks that are due.

Thank you @kylenecarse, time to run some tests

Yes, setting an automator for when the work reaches the status of Planned will cause the work to show up in To Plan in My Week.  This triggers the automator as soon as the work is created which may be problematic when choosing how many days after the automator is triggered that we want to set the template at.  

It is a work around that works.  Still curious to see if anyone is effectively setting up tasks to start before the work starts.  

We have resolved our current issue, thanks again @kylenecarse