Question

Sorting Work Items

• 1 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi All, 

New to Karbon,  is it possible to sort work items by creation date so I can attend to work on a first in first out basis?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Sandy Hill,

You can’t sort by Created Date, but there are a couple of ways to sort similarly 🙂

If when you create the work, it enters a certain status (e.g. In Progress), you can sort work by the date it entered that status (In Status):

If when you create the work you set the start date as the day you create it, you can sort by the Start Date:

Does that help?

Userlevel 1

@SamG Is that in the Kanban View?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@SamG Is that in the Kanban View?

Ahh, no, that’s in list. I believe Kanban always sorts (within a column) by Due Date..

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Sandy Hill Welcome to Karbon! There are a few ways you will find over time to keep work flowing. Here is what I use.

For FIFO I have Custom Work Views setup using the List presentation mode as it is easier to see visually this way. There is one for All open work we have received along with other more granular views segmented work type. I use the Start Date as the Received Date (really wish received date was an additional field available to us). I sort the view by this date to show the items in order received. Items received on the same day will not really be sorted by the first one received, however I am not too concerned with the time an item was received. For clients with priority processing (Skip to the front of the line), I just give them a Start Date that puts them to wherever I want them in our FIFO list.

I use the Kanban views for a more visual presentation of where work stands, always trying to keep work moving from left to right within the view.

Userlevel 1

@LD7E Thanks for your reply,  sounds like I have lots to learn.