Question

Setting up recurring Monthly IAS/BAS jobs in Karbon

• 15 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have clients with monthly Instalment Activity Statements (IAS) reporting PAYGW, but every 3rd month (last month in quarter) it is a Business Activity Statement (BAS) reporting both PAYGW for that month and GST for that quarter.

Now i cannot set up a recurring job for the IAS alone, as the recurrance would be 2 months out of every 3 months. I have set up a monthly recurrance as all the team understand the third month is a different statement, however we charge some clients a different amount for the IAS and the BAS.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Imbi Finlayson 

We have not had this exact issue either but I would actually lean toward 3 separate work orders repeating quarterly. I know, it sounds like a lot but once set up it would take out the need to cancel work orders or have extra tasks in any one work order.

This is what it would look like

IAS (month 1) - repeating quarterly on the first month of the quarter

IAS (month 2) an exact duplicate of IAS month 1, repeating quarterly on the second month of the quarter

BAS - repeating the third month of each quarter

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Both good suggestions, but I would want changes to rollover. I think I will leave as the monthly repeat and spread the budget evenly across the 3 months for now.

It would be good if, in future, we had the ability to select for the repeats to happen every XX amount of months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Victoria Peters, that’s another great option. We don’t use this option because we want changes to roll over from period to period, and you lose that continuity when the work items are recurring separately, any changes in Month 1 only rolls to Month 1 and not to Month 2 and month 3.

There are tradeoffs to all the ways currently available.

Hi @Imbi Finlayson 

We have not had this exact issue either but I would actually lean toward 3 separate work orders repeating quarterly. I know, it sounds like a lot but once set up it would take out the need to cancel work orders or have extra tasks in any one work order.

This is what it would look like

IAS (month 1) - repeating quarterly on the first month of the quarter

IAS (month 2) an exact duplicate of IAS month 1, repeating quarterly on the second month of the quarter

BAS - repeating the third month of each quarter

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Imbi Finlayson. Welcome to the Karbon Community! 😀

We don’t have exactly the same issue, but we do have monthly payroll returns that are due, but the year-end return is different than the monthly. What we have opted to do is create a work item that recurs monthly and a different work item that recurs annually for the last last month. Our managers cancel the last monthly work items so that staff only work on the annual work item.

Another option would be to include both task lists in the same work item and include a step to include a billable expense to compensate for the difference in billing rate one for the other. All tasks are always present. Context tells the staff which task list to use and the added billable expense trues up the billing rate.

Does that help at all?

I’m curious to read how other users approach this issue.