Question

Sequence of Sections

• 31 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

When we add a new Section I would love to have the option to have it appear at the TOP of the list rather than the bottom.  I know you can drag and drop the Section, but this is inconvenient to do in a work item with many sections.  Has anyone requested this feature?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Jana,

When you create a section did you know you can create it from the three dot menu of an existing Section and choose above or below (that section)? 🙂

Choosing the top section and clicking Add Section Above would save you scrolling down to create the section and from moving a section after creating it. Does that help?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, I do know that however I generally copy a section with the corresponding tasks either from a section within the work item or from another work item outside of the work completely, such as from another client’s work item.  So I would need to recreate the tasks if I ADD a section above or below, correct?  Is there another work around that you know of?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, I do know that however I generally copy a section with the corresponding tasks either from a section within the work item or from another work item outside of the work completely, such as from another client’s work item.  So I would need to recreate the tasks if I ADD a section above or below, correct?  Is there another work around that you know of?

Ahh okay, yes you are correct and no other workaround I know of sorry 😢

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So… I don’t expect anyone to do this, but here’s a way to avoid copying the section to the bottom of a target work item. I’ve played around with since reading this post:

1. Print your “From” work item to PDF.
  2. Highlight and copy the tasks you want to transfer to a new work item.
  3. Paste the task lines into a spreadsheet (you’ll get three lines for each task).
  4. Use spreadsheet magic to pull out only every third item.
  5. Copy and paste and split into Karbon where needed.

Things this doesn’t solve:

1. It’s complicated, so it would only make sense for long work items.
  2. The body of checklists does not come across when copied and pasted in this way.

I looked for a feature idea to be able to export, edit, and import work items as JSON. That would allow someone to export a work item, take certain things from it, paste it where they wanted in a target work item, and reimport. I’m pretty sure I have something in like that, but my search was bringing back too many results that didn’t make sense. Maybe I’ll make a new feature idea, lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@max is step 4 necessary? 🙂 if you paste a list with a blank line (or two) does it ignore those when creating new tasks? Or does the blank line have a blank character?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Great question. It’s not a blank line:

When I copy these, they come over like this when pasted into Excel (or Karbon):

EDIT: May I remind anyone reading that I don’t recommend this technique, lol. It’s just my response to the challenge, “Is it possible?” It’s a possible, not very helpful way of getting the job done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Great question. It’s not a blank line:

When I copy these, they come over like this when pasted into Excel (or Karbon):

EDIT: May I remind anyone reading that I don’t recommend this technique, lol. It’s just my response to the challenge, “Is it possible?” It’s a possible, not very helpful way of getting the job done.

Gotcha 🙂

Still, sometimes the ugly way is the best workaround in the absence of a feature/function