Question

Recon Approvals

• 4 December 2022
  • 3 replies

What is the best practice to manage balance sheet recon work? 

Process; Balance Sheet Recon is prepared by Staff, approved by a Manager -- both in house.

Is this 1 task in the work that is assigned to the staff member, then reassigns to the manager and update the status to awaiting approval?

Or two tasks so the staff member can mark each recon complete & the manager has to monitor the work to know what is ready to review?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@crow33 is this a stand-alone piece of work, or part of a larger process? The answer will be similar, but if it’s a larger process it will be more complex. Here’s some suggestions if it’s a stand-alone process:

• Create a work item for “Balance Sheet reconciliation”
    • You could create a work type for this if it is a frequent type of work you do and you will want to filter all of your work by this type
  • Have a section called something like “Balance Sheet reconciliation - preparation”
    • The tasks inside this section all get completed by the preparer
    • Create a task for each step that needs doing
    • Give all of these tasks a preparation Role and assign to the preparer
  • Have a new section called something like “Balance Sheet reconciliation - review”
    • The tasks inside this section all get completed by the reviewer
    • Create a task for each step that needs doing
    • Give all of these tasks a reviewing Role and assign to the reviewer
  • Create automators that do the following:
    • When the work is started have a “Preparation” or “In Progress” status
    • When the first section is completed, change the status to a “Review” or “Approval” status and reassign to the reviewer
    • Depending on how you generally work, you could also use an automator to update the reviewing task due dates AND/OR the work item due date

If the Balance Sheet recon is part of a larger piece of work (e.g. month end), you could still do the above, but there would likely be more sections before/after the above, or you could combine all review tasks into the same section. Best practice for Karbon work items is a new section each time the work is moved between people.

Let me know what you think! I’d love to hear what suggestions other Karbon users have as well!

Thanks @Rebecca Williams for the fast feedback!

This will be a stand alone work item, repeating monthly.  I guess I was hopeful we could use 1 list of tasks (accounts) per work and see which accounts were ready for review, still in prep or fully approved at a glance.

The handoff of tasks is tough though so I understand a duplicate section assigned differently is the best practice for this situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@crow33 you could do this using sub-tasks. It is generally more efficient and cleaner to reduce the number of times a file changes hands though so rather than a section or task for each account with sub-tasks for Prep and Review, it would be grouping all Prep tasks together, then all Review tasks together. Both are technically possible in Karbon though, e.g.

Tasks allocated by account, sub-task per person - harder to track overall status and ownership at a glance

• Accounts Payable
    • Prepared
    • Reviewed
  • Accounts Receivable
    • Prepared
    • Reviewed
  • Banks
    • Prepared
    • Reviewed

compared to

Sections allocated by person - easier to track status and ownership

Preparation